I7-10700K
Graphics
5600XT & 6800 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have been using a hackintosh for the past 5 years and each time there was a new OSX version I simply reinstalled from scratch. I am currently running 10.9.5 and I am planning to update to Yosemite. But at the same time I have the opportunity to upgrade my HW. 10.9.5 is currently running on a i7 2600k and the corresponding MB. I am planning to switch to an i7 4790k + a Z97 MB.
However this time I don't want to reinstall everything from scratch. I have too many apps + data and I also would like to avoid spending a lot of time reinstalling all the apps, restoring data, etc. what are the problems I might encounter if I simply connect my HDD with 10.9.5 and boot the system? any chance that it will load the appropriate kexts? should I enter the boot loader and clear the cache so that the relevant kexts are loaded? or is it a too daunting task and it is better to reinstall Yosemite from scratch?

If I can boot my current config on a new HW, then I am assuming that upgrading to Yosemite should be straight forward?

The new config should be:
- MB gigabyte UD7 TH
- 16GB memory
- gigabyte gtx 660 3GB OC which is already running on my current config at 4k
- samsung 28D590 4k monitor which is also already working at 4k under 10.9.5
- current 512GB SDD crucial

Thanks for the help

any problem you guys my foresee with the above config?

You might look into using the migration assistant after you've clean
installed Yosemite. That's one possible option. Personally I always
clean install on new hardware that's a few generations newer and
then move my apps and data over manually. Forces me to delete
stuff I don't really use or need anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back