Contribute
Register

Upgrading from Yosemite to Sierra and need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H67MA-UD2
CPU
i5-2400 @ 3.10 GHz
Graphics
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB
Hi guys,
I've been out of the hackintosh loop for a couple years and am finally getting around to upgrading my hackintosh to Sierra. I'm currently running Yosemite on my hackintosh. I have a couple noob questions I was wondering if you could help me with. This community has always been great to work with so thanks in advance.

First, how can I tell if my computer requirements can run Sierra?
Here are my computer specs: Mobo: GIGABYTE Socket 1155/Intel H67/DDR3/CrossFireX/SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/Micro ATX Motherboard GA-H67MA-UD2 CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor Graphics: GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card GV-R685OC-1GD

When I go to the appstore to download sierra it says "We cannot complete your purchase. This version cannot be installed on this computer." Do I need to download Sierra from a different computer to get around this message?

I've always used multibeast/unibeast to do updates. Is that still recommended or is Clover something I should get into?

Any recommendations on doing this update? I don't want to lose any data in the process though I do have a backup. Starting over would be a lot of work though. Any recommend post I should read to help make this go smoothly?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

If you boot with clover you may be able to update directly, like a real Apple machine, or via Unibeast.
If you do not use clover and do not understand how to switch to clover as your boot loader then it would be easiest to do a new installation on a new drive with your other OS drives unplugged. If you need to use the drive Yosemite is on currently be sure it is cloned and can be booted to/restored before you do anything else unless you don't care about losing everything on the drive or access to OS X if the Sierra installation fails (what could go wrong?)
I am presuming you have only the one AMD GPU that may require the PCI root flag. Or others.
If you have never seen the clover boot screen you will need to read how to use flags with that.
Depending on its vintage your Windows installation may not boot via UEFI. I do not believe that is changeable without reinstalling everything. You can still install Sierra with UEFI boot, which I think is recommended as that is what Apple does, but will have to choose the boot drive using the motherboard boot selection option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back