Contribute
Register

Upgrading from Mountain Lion to Yosemite, what do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A UD3R (rev 1.0)
CPU
Core i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Graphics
XFX Radeon 6870 HD 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hey all!

Haven't been on here for quite some time... But I just booted into my OSX side for the first time in months. I am totally behind on updates. lol

I am currently running 10.8.3 on ML. I have all my kexts and other programs working very well (except sleep, but that's not a biggie). I am going to grab my girlfriend's 1 TB external hard drive and do a quick backup of all my programs, docs, music, videos, etc.

Now, can I perform this update and use the latest multibeast to install my kexts and entirely skip Mavericks?

I do not know where I put my old unibeast drive. I can make a new 8 gb one though... do I do this once I have Yosemite installed? Thanks for all your input guys. :D

I think you can go directly to Yosemite using the standard http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html guide but with following changes:
1) repair permissions before you start anything
2) DO NOT FORMAT OR ANYTHING YOUR HARD DISK. SKIP STEP 6 IN THE GUIDE.
3) Before you install from Unibeast remove the Extra folder from you drive and keep in a safe place.
4) Once installed and booting from unibeast USB run Multicast from scratch with your settings.
5) On my x58a ud7 (rev 2) with ATI 6870, I had to include the ACPI rollback option in MB. It was never needed before but would not boot without into Yosemite.

Hope it helps.

I have the same motherboard and couldn't boot for days, it was hanging at 'PCI Configuration Begin' in verbose mode. Just discovered turning off on board USB3 in the BIOS fixed it straight away.

I didn't install multibeast with 'AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.9.5' ticked as I couldn't even boot, but all recommendations are that you install this once you're logged in.

Edit: Just seen how old the post is! Oh well, still relevant advice!

Yes, old post!
Mavericks is no longer available on the appstore. Yosemite is still there, but a new one is coming " El Capitan", and I am still on ML... I better jump on the train before it's too late.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back