CPU
i7-860
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Hackintosh is currently on 10.14.6 running Clover r4934 with the following hardware:
  • Gigabyte GA-P55M - UD2
  • Intel Core i7 860 2.8Ghz
  • Saphire Pulse Radeon RX 570
I was attempting to upgrade to Catalina using the guide Update Directly to macOS Catalina. However, using that method led to to a BIOS reset and restart. I read about how upgrading to 10.5.4 could lead to a BIOS reset (even though I was trying to upgrade to 10.15.7, not 10.15.4), and I had also read that the problem seemed to be resolved as of Clover r5114.

Anyway, I was unable to boot into Mojave using Clover r5114 or higher, so having wasted a day trying to undo that damage, I decided to follow the UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC guide instead.

Using this method I no longer had a BIOS reset and I was able to get past the "Boot macOS Install from USB" portion of the upgrade, but everytime I try to finish the upgrade by selecting "Boot macOS from HDD", the Apple Logo screen flashes briefly before emitting a single beep and then restarting. Any ideas on how I can get past this and finish the upgrade?

Attached is my config.plist and efi folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bruno

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 85
  • EFI.zip
    28.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Don't be discouraged and be patient with your learning. It appears to me that your posted EFI needs more work before being operational. Did your posted EFI work with a previous version of macOS (with your motherboard and graphics card)?

It appears that you're missing kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other. Are you installing kexts in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions? If you are installing kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E, you need to have all these kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other on your USB installer.

Observations:
  • Your config.plist enables "AddDTGP" and you have DTGP defined in your DSDT. Without looking further, I suspect that this system is not patched correctly.
  • There is no kext (USBInjectAll.kext or USBPorts.kext) for USB. Have you found that your USB works fine without any kexts?
  • You are not using Lilu.kext/WhateverGreen.kext for your RX570, I don't see any GFX0 (Graphics) patches in your DSDT.aml and I don't see Radeon patches in your config.plist. What is your Graphics strategy?

There are other issues, but I'll stop there. I would suggest that you continue searching for threads/posts from others who have your motherboard and graphics card. As you have already discovered, you can review my thread (for a different motherboard, so my ACPI patches will be different) to learn about RX580 patching.

Don't be discouraged and be patient with your learning. It appears to me that your posted EFI needs more work before being operational. Did your posted EFI work with a previous version of macOS (with your motherboard and graphics card)?

It appears that you're missing kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other. Are you installing kexts in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions? If you are installing kexts in /L/E or /S/L/E, you need to have all these kexts in CLOVER/kexts/Other on your USB installer.

Observations:
  • Your config.plist enables "AddDTGP" and you have DTGP defined in your DSDT. Without looking further, I suspect that this system is not patched correctly.
  • There is no kext (USBInjectAll.kext or USBPorts.kext) for USB. Have you found that your USB works fine without any kexts?
  • You are not using Lilu.kext/WhateverGreen.kext for your RX570, I don't see any GFX0 (Graphics) patches in your DSDT.aml and I don't see Radeon patches in your config.plist. What is your Graphics strategy?

There are other issues, but I'll stop there. I would suggest that you continue searching for threads/posts from others who have your motherboard and graphics card. As you have already discovered, you can review my thread (for a different motherboard, so my ACPI patches will be different) to learn about RX580 patching.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, my posted EFI worked perfectly on Mojave 10.14.6 prior to the Catalina upgrade. I first built this Hack back in November 2009, and so I'm sure both my config.plist and EFI folder have become bloated over the years.

I've only ever had FakeSMC, realtekALC, and RealtekRTL811 in my kexts/other folder since I migrated over to Clover from Chimera (back in El Capitan), and I thought those were all the kexts that I needed. However, looking at my L/E folder, I do have these same three kexts duplicated in that location, in addition to AppleALC, Lilu and bunch of FakeSMC sensor kexts. Should I delete these duplicate kexts from L/E and move and delete the additional kexts to kexts/other? Does Catalina not boot properly if there are kexts in L/E? My USB installer can currently boot into the cloned version of this drive pre-upgrade, so it can boot into a Mojave drive with kexts in L/E.

My DSDT is from the DSDT repository on this site, patched per this post below to fix audio issues that I was having using the unpatched DSDT:

As I said this system and config.plist has been used since 2009 so I'm sure that I have duplicated steps along the way. Would you recommend removing "AddDTGP" since it is already defined in my DSDT?

My USB ports have all always worked without using a USBInjectAll or USBPorts kext, and these kexts were not in my L/E folder.

My Rx570 worked straight out of the box for this build on Mojave; I have two monitors connected on DisplayPort and other than some artifacts on bootup, they've always worked great. I've not needed Lilu or WhateverGreen kexts on Mojave. Does Catalina require these kexts for the graphics card to work?

Thank you again for taking the time to go through my post, I really appreciate it.

Bruno

Thanks for the reply! Yes, my posted EFI worked perfectly on Mojave 10.14.6 prior to the Catalina upgrade. I first built this Hack back in November 2009, and so I'm sure both my config.plist and EFI folder have become bloated over the years.

I've only ever had FakeSMC, realtekALC, and RealtekRTL811 in my kexts/other folder since I migrated over to Clover from Chimera (back in El Capitan), and I thought those were all the kexts that I needed. However, looking at my L/E folder, I do have these same three kexts duplicated in that location, in addition to AppleALC, Lilu and bunch of FakeSMC sensor kexts. Should I delete these duplicate kexts from L/E and move and delete the additional kexts to kexts/other? Does Catalina not boot properly if there are kexts in L/E? My USB installer can currently boot into the cloned version of this drive pre-upgrade, so it can boot into a Mojave drive with kexts in L/E.

Thank you again for taking the time to go through my post, I really appreciate it.

Bruno
I also install 3rd-party kexts in /L/E. Read this to learn more about and to fully understand why you're installing 3rd-party kexts in both /CLOVER/kexts/Other and /L/E.

I took another quick look at your patched DSDT.aml and see that your USB has been patched. I didn't check to see if it is patched correctly, but it is patched.

@ibruno - Take a look at the first post in my TH55HD thread here. Note that I add Device (EC) in my patched DSDT. Your patched DSDT does not have a Device (EC) and this may contribute to your boot problem. Try adding this, following my example.

Without full debug files, I'm at a loss. I suspect that you need properly patched USB and graphics, but can't be sure. I might be able to offer more advice if you boot your last known working configuration / OS and capture full debug files using black.dragon74's tool here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back