CPU
i5-3470
Graphics
GT 610
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello guys i just bought a new ssd and some extra Ram and i want to change the OS on my hackintosh.I have Mavericks since i've builded my hackintosh and i was wondering which OS will be better - faster - stable for my it.I've seen many video comparisons about El Capitan vs High Sierra and most of them shows El Capitan faster - stable - better.What is your opinion about it?EL capitan or High sierra? Or you can suggest me another one?

Here is my build:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 XMS3 Vengeance PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (2X4GB) cmx8gx3m2a1600c9
CPU: Intel® Core i5-3470 Processor
COOLERMASTER ELITE POWER 460W
SEAGATE ST1000DM003
SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB

Hello guys i just bought a new ssd and some extra Ram and i want to change the OS on my hackintosh. I have Mavericks since i've builded my hackintosh and i was wondering which OS will be better - faster - stable for my it. I've seen many video comparisons about El Capitan vs High Sierra and most of them shows El Capitan faster - stable - better. What is your opinion about it?EL capitan or High sierra? Or you can suggest me another one?

Here is my build:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 XMS3 Vengeance PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (2X4GB) cmx8gx3m2a1600c9
CPU: Intel® Core i5-3470 Processor
COOLERMASTER ELITE POWER 460W
SEAGATE ST1000DM003
SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB

Are you using a separate graphics card on your system? If so what is the model of the card?

El Capitan will be easier to install and less headaches with apfs vs. HFS +J.

If you enjoy a challenge then High Sierra or Mojave beta. These have more features but require more fixes.
Thank you for your quick reply.What do you suggest APFS or HFS+J?

Yes i am using Asus Nvidia Geforce GT 10

GT 610? Then you can upgrade to El Capitan but not Sierra and High Sierra, as GT 610 is not supported in them.

GT 610? Then you can upgrade to El Capitan but not Sierra and High Sierra, as GT 610 is not supported in them.
Great then thanks for the info!!!!In Mavericks i didnt check anything on multibeast/unibeast do i have to check something on multibeast/unibeast after i will install el capitan?

You sure about that? I'm also running Mavericks on an old build (H55, GT 610, Core i-3 first gen) and looking to upgrade to whatever I need to in order to run the latest version of FCP which will not run on my Mavericks build. I downloaded High Sierra and made the boot drive with Unibeast after seeing that the Multibeast for High Sierra specifically mentions the 610 for Nvidia graphics. I swear a read a thread somewhere too where someone had a working build with this card.

I've had a hell of time getting a successful High Sierra installation. Install goes fine, but obviously trouble with graphics, audio, and boot from SSD. I have to keep booting from the Unibeast drive. It's been so long since I built my working Mavericks build this is very disheartening. I guess I have a LOT more reading up to do.

You sure about that? I'm also running Mavericks on an old build (H55, GT 610, Core i-3 first gen) and looking to upgrade to whatever I need to in order to run the latest version of FCP which will not run on my Mavericks build. I downloaded High Sierra and made the boot drive with Unibeast after seeing that the Multibeast for High Sierra specifically mentions the 610 for Nvidia graphics. I swear a read a thread somewhere too where someone had a working build with this card.

I've had a hell of time getting a successful High Sierra installation. Install goes fine, but obviously trouble with graphics, audio, and boot from SSD. I have to keep booting from the Unibeast drive. It's been so long since I built my working Mavericks build this is very disheartening. I guess I have a LOT more reading up to do.

I will be happy to be proven wrong if you or others can make the GT610 work with High Sierra. I heard this from the moderators here so you can ask them for clarification.

I have not confirmed this myself as I don't have the card, but I have no reason to doubt it either as the GT610 is based on the Fermi architecture, which lacks Metal support. Other Nvidia Fermi cards that lack Metal support such as GTS 450 / GTX 550 Ti / GTX 560 / GTX 560 Ti are all known to have problems in High Sierra.

I will be happy to be proven wrong if you or others can make the GT610 work with High Sierra. I heard this from the moderators here so you can ask them for clarification.

I have not confirmed this myself as I don't have the card, but I have no reason to doubt it either as the GT610 is based on the Fermi architecture, which lacks Metal support. Other Nvidia Fermi cards that lack Metal support such as GTS 450 / GTX 550 Ti / GTX 560 / GTX 560 Ti are all known to have problems in High Sierra.

I wish I could prove you wrong. Not because I would take any pleasure in you being wrong, but because I've invested so many days, nights, and hours into trying to update my Mavericks machine to High Sierra I just want it to work. I have a MacBook Pro running High Sierra, and obviously this is a Machine I purchased from Apple and works as its supposed to. I use this laptop as my video editing machine and it works great, but I recently purchased a Black Magic Design video capture card which I cannot install on my MacBook Pro so the obvious move is to install on my CustoMac. The crux here is that my copy of Final Cut Pro I use on my MacBook will not work on Mavericks. I have to update to at least Sierra.

I was able to get High Sierra install with a fresh install on a new SSD but could not boot without the unibeast drive and even still I had no graphics and couldn't run FCP. The good news is, I was able to get a clean install of El Capitan working on the new SSD with a new Unibeast drive and from there I was able to do a direct upgrade to Sierra using Tony Mac's guide. So I am finally able to get FCP installed on this desktop and play with this new capture card. I can rest. I didn't achieve my goal of a successful High Sierra install, but for my purposes, I don't need it. Although the Multibeast for High Sierra I downloaded does show some detail for support of my Geforce 610 card on High Sierra. Maybe I'll tinker some more another day. Now it's time to get to work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.44.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.44.44 AM.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 88
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back