1. iBook
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,

Excuse the stupid question...

I have a hackintosh running 10.10.5, which I built ~4 years ago, running the suggested 'working' hardware, gleaned from this very website! The spec (core i7 4770k @ 3.89Ghz, GA-Z87N, Geforce GT640 etc. etc.) might be a bit dated now(!), but still runs most things I throw at it. I may treat it to some upgrades in due course! :)

It's been working extremely well and reliably for years now, after the few initial teething troubles were ironed out.

However, I really want to update the OS to Mojave, as there are several programs I can no longer use. I've been terrified to update it, since there doesn't seem to be an easy path from my existing installation.

If it helps, I'm running a very old version of Multibeast (7.5.0), with a few extra kexts. Otherwise, it's completely by the book!

Can anyone point me to a step by step update guide from 10.10.5, or quickly tell me the way to approach it?

Thanks!

The most important question is whether you installed Yosemite for legacy booting with Chimera or you used Clover and are booting UEFI ? 4 years ago both ways were viable options.

No matter how you installed Yosemite, I would attempt a "practice" intstall of Mojave on a clean SSD first. Disconnect your Yosemite drive and then connect the new one for the Mojave install. That way you don't need to worry about messing up your older Yosemite drive. You can also clone your Yosemite to a new SSD and then try an in place upgrade on that drive if you have installed UEFI and use Clover. Clover would need to be updated first of course. Either way there is no risk involved.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156172&ignorebbr=1

Last edited:
The most important question is whether you installed Yosemite for legacy booting with Chimera or you used Clover and are booting UEFI ? 4 years ago both ways were viable options.
OP's PCIE Graphics is Nvidia GeF GT 640. Hope it is a Kepler Card and Not one with Fermi microarchitecture.
If it is Fermi, OP will have to change the BIOS Peripherals Init Display IGFX, DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory 64 and remove PCIE Nvidia and use IGFX HDMI for Display with appropriate CLOVER-Config_Device and Graphics Editing.

OP's PCIE Graphics is Nvidia GeF GT 640. Hope it is a Kepler Card and Not one with Fermi microarchitecture.
If it is Fermi, OP will have to change the BIOS Peripherals Init Display IGFX, DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory 64 and remove PCIE Nvidia and use IGFX HDMI for Display with appropriate CLOVER-Config_Device and Graphics Editing.
Good point. How does the OP determine which one they've got ?

Can run a Linux Live CD and use lspci and lshw tools.
I wonder if GPU-Z provides that info ? I've also read that any 640 with GDDR5 Vram is kepler and the DDR3 versions are all fermi based. Not sure if that is true though.

On a related note, it's great that the GPU-Z app now tells you whether or not you have a fake graphics card. This was not a 1050 Ti that I own. For anyone buying an Ebay card from China, this should be the first thing you check.
1548086803906.png

Last edited:
I wonder if GPU-Z provides that info ? I've also read that any 640 with GDDR5 Vram is kepler and the DDR3 versions are all fermi based. Not sure if that is true though.

On a related note, it's great that the GPU-Z app now tells you whether or not you have a fake graphics card. This was not a 1050 Ti that I own. For anyone buying an Ebay card from China, this should be the first thing you check.
View attachment 380994
I just ran the latest Puppy linux (Xenialpup -64-UEFI) Live CD as a USB Installer in my System with Nvidia GeForce GT 710 and ran the lspci command on the terminal as shown in the uploaded screen shot.
LSPCI.png

So GPU-Z would also give enough info to determine this.

You can see in the fake GTX 1050 Ti description that they are giving the buyer a 550 Ti (GF116) and calling it a 1050 Ti !!

Screen_Shot_13.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back