RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Success! I don't know why, but my first attempts to use OpenCore back in September seemed very difficult and a lot of work. Maybe the OC install guide has been updated but I think I just didn't do it properly. This time I used the Kaby Lake prebuilt SSDTs and did the other config work very carefully - as everyone is saying, it's very straight forward and the Sanity check is great. But I was unable to do the create install media using downloaded Big Sur for some strange reason.

So I inserted the OC EFT I'd made into a copy of my Catalina 10.15.7 volume, and it booted first time. Interesting that my BIOS Boot drive setting show the volume as "OpenCore". So far everything seems to be working, including the motherboard audio, and it's been a couple of years since I could get that working with Clover.

Now I've got a fresh Big Sur update downloading and I'm hoping that works as well with OC as 10.15.7 is.

Success! I don't know why, but my first attempts to use OpenCore back in September seemed very difficult and a lot of work. Maybe the OC install guide has been updated but I think I just didn't do it properly. This time I used the Kaby Lake prebuilt SSDTs and did the other config work very carefully - as everyone is saying, it's very straight forward and the Sanity check is great. But I was unable to do the create install media using downloaded Big Sur for some strange reason.

So I inserted the OC EFT I'd made into a copy of my Catalina 10.15.7 volume, and it booted first time. Interesting that my BIOS Boot drive setting show the volume as "OpenCore". So far everything seems to be working, including the motherboard audio, and it's been a couple of years since I could get that working with Clover.

Now I've got a fresh Big Sur update downloading and I'm hoping that works as well with OC as 10.15.7 is.
Well, not so good with Big Sur. I tried booting it with the same EFI as Catalina, but no go yet, not sure what the problem is. I'll post about that in the support forum.

I have an Asrock Extreme4 Z270M with a Kaby Lake CPU, an RX 560 graphics card and an Apple-compatible NVMe WiFi card. I converted my 10.15.7 system to OpenCore 6.3, and everything works. The OC EFI was done carefully following the OC install guide, using the guide prebuilt SSDTs and the latest kexts.

Yesterday I downloaded the Big Sur update, and tried to update a copy of my 10.15.7 OC system. Unfortunately it failed for reasons I can't interpret. I'm wondering if those who have updated Catalina OC systems to Big Sur can indicate changes they had to make to their OC EFT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back