Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
Zotac gtx 970
I have Sierra installed on an i7-4770k setup. Can I just migrate my ssd to the i7-6700k setup? or do I have to reinstall Sierra?

I have Sierra installed on an i7-4770k setup. Can I just migrate my ssd to the i7-6700k setup? or do I have to reinstall Sierra?

I was able to migrate my 2500k to 6600k, then to 6700k by changing the SSDT, removing the old DSDT and changing some clover settings. However mine was a bit more difficult as I had also moved from a 5870 which is OOB to a RX480.

For what needed to be changed I was able to find some guides on installing a 6600k/6700k from scratch and just updated my settings/replaced the SSDT and other kexts for the new motherboard.

I was able to migrate my 2500k to 6600k, then to 6700k by changing the SSDT, removing the old DSDT and changing some clover settings. However mine was a bit more difficult as I had also moved from a 5870 which is OOB to a RX480.

For what needed to be changed I was able to find some guides on installing a 6600k/6700k from scratch and just updated my settings/replaced the SSDT and other kexts for the new motherboard.

Thanks, sounds like requires some work. Still thinking out loud though. With Ryzen coming out, intel needs to drop enough to make it worth it to upgrade. Still happy with my 4770k.

I'm seeing 6700k for $229, which is a damn good price.

I'm seeing 6700k for $229, which is a damn good price.

That's true, but I'm still running ddr3. So I would have to upgrade ram and motherboard along with the cpu.

I went the opposite and migrated a Skylake i7 unlocked installation on an ASUS mobo to a 2600k on a Gigabyte motherboard because I had a seemingly unsolvable glitch in that Unibeast/Clover would not accept keyboard input on the 2600k (there are posts about that on this website). It was not difficult to retrofit settings for the older chipset. There are a few glitches I have not hunted down because I rarely use that machine. Generally it is much better to do a fresh install JUST LIKE WINDOWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back