Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Help needed on Upgrading existing dualboot 10.7/Win7 to 10.7/Win8

I tried upgrading my dualboot machine (Lion/Win7) to (Lion/Win8). As I have lots of document (all backed up) I wanted to avoid reinstalling both OSses from scratch. In my many attempts, I ended up unable to boot both machines. Somehow, managed to get in once into Lion through rBoot. Immediately I updated to the latest Multibeast (4.6.1) and now I am able to use Lion.

However, when I choose Windows to boot from the Chimera menu, I get the following error message:

Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or Software might be the cause.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: Boot Configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

When I use the Windows 8 Pro upgrade DVD to boot the machine, after selecting the language, etc and selecting to repair the PC, I get the following message:

The device where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the device and try again.

My Current setup is as follows:

Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core (I Generation)
Memory 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD3R (Version 2.0); Firmware Version FE

Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com

MultiBeast Version 4.6.1

Hard Drives:
1 TB Samsung:
Partition 1: HFS+ (Lion is installed in this partition)​
Partition 2: NTFS (Windows 8 is installed in this partition)​
2 TB WDC:
Partition 1: HFS+​
Partition 2: NTFS​

Help needed:

Please advise on how to get both OSses to work.

I am open to installing Windows 8 in the 2nd disk (WDC). I have ample free space in the second drive to create a new partition in which I can install Windows 8. Or if a fresh hard disk is what will make the work easier, I am open to buy another internal hard disk as well.

A step by step guide will be really helpful and greatly appreciated. If it is already existing, please point me to that and if you could make the additional changes/suggestions in that guide to suite my situation, I will be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Solved:

Created a new partition on the second hard disk. Removed the first hard disk (where OS X was installed) and started the machine with only the second hard disk.

Booted with the Win8 upgrade DVD and installed Win8 in the new partition. Updated the installation with latest updates from microsoft. Shut down the machine. Installed the first hard disk. Rebooted the machine and everything is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back