Contribute
Register

Upgrading CPU (G3258 to i3-4360) - FakeCPUID removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-P
CPU
i3-4360
Graphics
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello all. :)

I am upgrading my CPU from a G3258 to a i3-4360; on High Sierra, I have "FakeCPUID" set to "0x0306A0"; So, since the i3-4360 is natively supported by macOS, I take it I simply swap the CPU in, remove the "FakeCPUID" and it's ready to go?

[Edit]: Also, do I need to update my SMBIOS and change model? Currently, it's set to: "iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)" and "Processor: 3.21 GHz Intel Core i5" (using FakeCPUID 0x0306A0)

[Edit 2]: I also plan to upgrade this machine to Monterey, using the i3-4360 - I take it this will work?

Many thanks. :)

Last edited:
Removing the FakeCPUID will be required.

Not sure what else you need to change in your setup.

Apple used very few i3 CPU's, none were from the Haswell series.

You can install Monterey with a Haswell CPU, using just the IGPU (HD4600) but have to use the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. See this guide for a similar Haswell build running Monterey:

Removing the FakeCPUID will be required.

Not sure what else you need to change in your setup.

Apple used very few i3 CPU's, none were from the Haswell series.

You can install Monterey with a Haswell CPU, using just the IGPU (HD4600) but have to use the Macmini7,1 SMBIOS. See this guide for a similar Haswell build running Monterey:

Thanks ever so much :) - I removed it and tried myself (I was being impatient and cautious, due to this machine holding LOTS of precious cargo - please pardon my rushed "No one?" reply.) - Wow - now I removed the "FakeCPUID", "Messages" and "Preview" apps, both of which would crash A LOT with G3250 and FakeCPUID, now do not crash AT ALL. Far from a coincidence, I feel.

GOD bless you, keep well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back