Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I built a hackintosh for a friend (specs below) and was wondering what the most cost effective upgrades would be for video rendering/editing (specifically work in Final Cut Pro 7 and Final Cut Pro X). I know hard drive(s) seem to be an obvious first but what would be the best options for a good setup? (scrap drive/ssd/raid?)

ASUS Sabertooth X58
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz
Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 12GB (6 x 2GB)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
7200 1TB HD + 750GB Maxtor External (Scrap Drive)
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout Case
ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Also, the machine is currently running the ram at 1600mhz using XMP and when I run benchmarks I get better results than when I run the ram at 1066mhz, but the timings are slower.

Is it worth it run the ram at these faster speeds for video editing if the CPU stays at stock speeds?

final cut pro x and pro 7 are total system bandwith intence aplications im curently running a q6600 at 3.19ghz 1470-1500mhz fsb and ati 6870 video card.

the reason why u get better score under 1600mhz ram then 1066 is because under 1600 u get more banwith out of ur ram but slower per clock cycle, as to what upgrades to use i would recomend a video card 6870 will work out of the box under lion 10.7.1 and so on, and its a very nice card actualy its the best u can get other then 6970 but there were some issues with 6970 kext last i checked about 3 months ago maybe netkas fixed it. and hard drives yess u want fast as u can get with the bigest buffer cash 64mb i think is the bigest u can get right now.

so things to remember is
cpu scalability (x58 cpus are great for that because they were designed for enthusiasts and hard core gamers)

ram bandwith and total capasity maxing out ur ram is always a good idea and it will make a noticeble difference (depending on the type of mobo u use and ram u might actualy be able to OC ram past 1600mhz im shure, i have a buddy who is runing intel's X38 platform at 1800Mhz overclock easily)

Video card is also very important when it comes to rendering and such ATI 6870 is the best u can get for a hackintosh, its a gaming video card so its fast and under lion its native support no kext installation no nothing.

high buffer harddrives like 64mb.

i hope my input helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back