CPU
I5-2500K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just wondering if anyone could answer, with my setup as an iMac 14,2 can I upgrade to an rx 580 graphics card from a gtx 650 without changing my smbios? Now that 10.13.4 is out it looks like the sapphire pulse rx 580 works OOB. Just don't really care to change my smbios to get imessage working again though. Also looking at that card since it has native support as well as my gtx 650 has native support too. I like everything native. Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone could answer, with my setup as an iMac 14,2 can I upgrade to an rx 580 graphics card from a gtx 650 without changing my smbios? Now that 10.13.4 is out it looks like the sapphire pulse rx 580 works OOB. Just don't really care to change my smbios to get imessage working again though. Also looking at that card since it has native support as well as my gtx 650 has native support too. I like everything native. Thanks.

Any update on this? I'm also looking to upgrade to a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse from my current GTX 970. I'm tired of dealing with these Nvidia web driver issues after every single update.

Read the forums here and you will see people are using RX580's and how to get them to work.
If you want native, you will need to buy a Mac.
With hackintosh there's no such thing as native - there's always slight tweaks to be done - e.g. you need Clover (which effectively emulates Apple EFI's) to boot macOS on a PC. e.g. you have to set the Model ID, e.g. you have to add an Audio driver, etc.

It's the same with AMD RX580. With 10.13.4, there's better support in the OS than before.
You just need to remember to do some minimal settings enable the GPU. E.g.:
1. Disable CSM in the BIOS
2. Disable Intel GPU (initially)
3. Make the AMD GPU Primary GPU
4. connect the monitor to AMD GPU

...and then you'll be able to boot 10.13.4

You will get full acceleration and smooth GUI.
You can then tweak it to add audio over HDMI.

PS. Choosing the right manufacturer helps. Sapphire seems to more "compatible".
I'm using Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB without any issues.

Read the forums here and you will see people are using RX580's and how to get them to work.
If you want native, you will need to buy a Mac.
With hackintosh there's no such thing as native - there's always slight tweaks to be done - e.g. you need Clover (which effectively emulates Apple EFI's) to boot macOS on a PC. e.g. you have to set the Model ID, e.g. you have to add an Audio driver, etc.

It's the same with AMD RX580. With 10.13.4, there's better support in the OS than before.
You just need to remember to do some minimal settings enable the GPU. E.g.:
1. Disable CSM in the BIOS
2. Disable Intel GPU (initially)
3. Make the AMD GPU Primary GPU
4. connect the monitor to AMD GPU

...and then you'll be able to boot 10.13.4

You will get full acceleration and smooth GUI.
You can then tweak it to add audio over HDMI.

PS. Choosing the right manufacturer helps. Sapphire seems to more "compatible".
I'm using Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB without any issues.

This is great information... I have searched hundreds of threads and have not found much information about the RX 580 in 10.13.4 in particular (I know it was just released). I have my hack running on 10.13.4 and just wanted to see if I would be better off selling my GTX 970 to get a RX 580. My system is running great but the only thing that ever gives me fits is the Nvidia card, I'm growing a little tired of it and wondered if the AMD card would give me less headaches? (especially when doing incremental updates)

This is great information... I have searched hundreds of threads and have not found much information about the RX 580 in 10.13.4 in particular (I know it was just released). I have my hack running on 10.13.4 and just wanted to see if I would be better off selling my GTX 970 to get a RX 580. My system is running great but the only thing that ever gives me fits is the Nvidia card, I'm growing a little tired of it and wondered if the AMD card would give me less headaches? (especially when doing incremental updates)
It depends what your are using for system for.
nvidia is better with some apps wheres AMD is better with others.
But now that Apple have started using more AMD gfx in their Mac's, chances are the support will get better over time.

It depends what your are using for system for.
nvidia is better with some apps wheres AMD is better with others.
But now that Apple have started using more AMD gfx in their Mac's, chances are the support will get better over time.

Fair enough... I’m dual booting windows on another SSD so that’s why I’m a little gun shy to switch over to AMD, historically I’m not a huge fan of windows and AMD graphics. BTW, what system definition are you running?

Fair enough... I’m dual booting windows on another SSD so that’s why I’m a little gun shy to switch over to AMD, historically I’m not a huge fan of windows and AMD graphics. BTW, what system definition are you running?
For my i7-3770K on 7-Series chipset, I using iMac13,1 (same as the real iMac with i7-3770S).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back