Gigabyte GA-170X-Gaming7
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 980ti
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hello folks,

I have built a Hackintosh a little while ago, and subsequent hardware and software updates have turned it into a Frankenstein that boots successfully about half the time. The build that I am currently operating on is similar to this one (link), and the one that I am looking to upgrade to is going to have a similar hardware configuration to this one (link).
If you don't want to dig through the links, I am looking to replace my i7 4770K CPU with an i7 6700K, my GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard with a GA-Z170X-UD5, and my Mavericks OS with Sierra. I would like to maintain my GTX 980ti (I already have the NVIDIA WebDriver).

My question is what steps I need to take to install this new hardware and update the OS, preserving my data rather than completely wiping the hard drive and starting over. I'm not entirely familiar with the use of Clover, which is used in the instructions of the i7 6700 build above, and I am afraid that doing so would result in a clean slate of a computer, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Pepin.
First of all, please fill out your profile with your primary system(new build) to assist others in helping you.
My guess here; you are using Chimera to boot Mavericks whereas maOS Sierra requires Clover.
First thing for you to do is make a back up of your data/current installation drive.
What you have to consider when moving bootloaders and operating systems is the high probability of conflicting kext.
At this point I would make a Clover Test USB. Test Drive: How to Create a Clover USB | tonymacx86.com
Make sure that you can boot your current installation drive selecting the Clover test USB as boot priority either in the BIOS or using the hotkey F12, selecting your current drive. You don't need to make your current drive fully operational as you'll need to run post install tools(MultiBeast) when in macOS Sierra on your new system. Once you are able to boot your current drive using Clover. You should remove all 3rd party kext from /System/Library/Extensions. See here How to Backup and Remove Chimera and any Related Files ..
This will make the current drive universal/moveable between motherboards since it has not got dedicated kexts for either motherboard. Now before you move the drive to your Z170 motherboard you will want to update to macOS Sierra as Mavericks will not support the 100 series chipset. Direct Update to macOS Sierra using Clover | tonymacx86.com
When your current drive is updated to macOS Sierra you can then move it over to your new build and perform post installation procedures with MultiBeast - Sierra 9.0.1

I see no mention of new memory and am wondering if you are moving your existing memory over to the 100 series? If so please check the QVL(Qualified Vendors List) at Gigabyte for compatibility.

Last edited:
Excellent call on the memory. I did not think about that.

Prior to replacing the hardware, I installed Sierra using a Unibeast USB drive. It booted successfully, at least in safe mode, and I did not install any drivers or anything before replacing the motherboard.
Now I have two problems. Kernel panic almost immediately if I try to boot using the drive itself, and a hangup, typically in this area, when I boot using the bootloader.
SeEmch8.jpg

For the record, following the directions of "How to Backup and Remove Chimera" and removing the associated kexts (this was before I replaced the hardware) prevented it from booting at all. I needed to use MacDrive and a separate OS to reinstall the kexts.

Once you removed the associated Kexts and you mentioned that you installed them via Macdrive, where did you install them too? With Clover kexts are installed in EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.12 or other folder or /Library/Extensions. This is to keep /System/Library/Extension vanilla. Apple recommends installing to /L/E for 3rd party drivers. Can you still boot in safe mode or not at all now?

I merely put them back in their original location. But that was before I even bothered upgrading the OS. After upgrading, the computer was able to boot (although it required the -f bootflag). I left all conditions as they were when the computer had Sierra installed on a Z87X motherboard, and then replaced the motherboard and CPU.

Now, no matter what bootflags I select, I cannot boot the Sierra HDD. Even in safe mode and using the USB bootloader. In all cases, it hangs up somewhere around where is shown in the image above.

Ok as it boots using your 8 series motherboard then it maybe a BIOS setting that is astray. Things to check for:
Disable Vt-d
Secure Boot mode - Disable it and if there are any secure keys delete them.
If your motherboard has a serial port disable it.
Set XHCI Handoff to enabled - (USB configuration). I would boot with nv_disable=1 -v for now even though you said that you have the Web Drivers installed. Simply as Gigabyte 100 series motherboards do not support native NVRAM like your 8 series.

Very nice! Enabling XHCI Handoff was the key. Now it boots (without any bootflags), but I have to use the bootloader every time, as I get a kernel panic when I try to boot by selecting the drive directly.

I've tried to enable the NVIDIA Web Driver several times, and, every time I restart, even with the nvda_drv=1 flag, it boots with the OS X default graphics driver selected. Are you saying that I won't be able to use the Web Drivers with the motherboard at all?

Very nice! Enabling XHCI Handoff was the key. Now it boots (without any bootflags), but I have to use the bootloader every time, as I get a kernel panic when I try to boot by selecting the drive directly.
Could you clarify which bootloader you have to use every time? Since Chimera can't boot macOS Sierra I presume you mean you have to use the USB(UniBeast) to boot each time yes?
I've tried to enable the NVIDIA Web Driver several times, and, every time I restart, even with the nvda_drv=1 flag, it boots with the OS X default graphics driver selected. Are you saying that I won't be able to use the Web Drivers with the motherboard at all?
Yes you will be able to use the Nvidia drivers, you'll just have to add some extra drivers to your Clover installation to emulate NVRAM that isn't present on any Gigabyte 100 series. Have you run MultiBeast for Sierra yet?

I have run MultiBeast. I added Ethernet and NullCPUPowerManagement to the quick start.

I have an instance of Clover installed on the OSX drive, and I am able to select it from the boot options when I start the computer. It's the only way for me to boot right now.
So you're saying that I should reinstall Clover?

Take a look at the MultiBeast settings from tonymacx86's build. This should get you further, once you're able to boot we can fix your graphics using the Clover Installer. In the screen shot ignore the HD530 settings since you're using a discreet GPU.
Navigate to /Library/Extensions and remove NullCPUPowerManagement, its not needed for your motherboard.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-3-test-build-ga-z170x-ud5-th-i5-6600k.199242
multibeast-png.209656

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back