Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus PRIME Z370-A II
CPU
i3-9100F
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I have an older SandyBridge 2500k system with a triple monitor setup powered by a 6870 1GB video card. I want to upgrade it to about a $200 video card. Im thinking about the AMD R9 290 with 4GB ram for about $230 refurbished or a newer Nvidia GTX 960OC 2GB for about $200. Im more partial to AMD, but I really a most concerned about support with Yosemite for my tripple monitor connection. Right now with the 6870 I have to use one with DVI, another with HDMI and then the 3rd with display port. I do game a lot with BF4 in Windows and just bought GTA5 to play when it comes out. Suggestions on a card?

I have an older SandyBridge 2500k system with a triple monitor setup powered by a 6870 1GB video card. I want to upgrade it to about a $200 video card. Im thinking about the AMD R9 290 with 4GB ram for about $230 refurbished or a newer Nvidia GTX 960OC 2GB for about $200. Im more partial to AMD, but I really a most concerned about support with Yosemite for my tripple monitor connection. Right now with the 6870 I have to use one with DVI, another with HDMI and then the 3rd with display port. I do game a lot with BF4 in Windows and just bought GTA5 to play when it comes out. Suggestions on a card?

R9 280X or GTX 960/970 with nVidia drivers

Thanks for the reply. Why a 280x over a 290?

Also, I noticed the March buying guide is all nvidia. Why no AMD cards?

Thanks for the reply. Why a 280x over a 290?

Because the 290 and 290x are different GPU chip.

280X is a Tahiti card (same as HD7970), 290/290x are based on Hawaii Pro, same as the FirePro W8100. Last i heard OS X had no support for Hawaii, but with 10.10.3 out now that may have changed.

Just to share my experience for what it is worth.

I have had great service from ATI 5770 and 6870 GPUs over the years and learned to configure OS X frame buffers. I was happy with three displays running concurrently.

Then I was ready for something new and fixated on the R9 270X. I took the card home and proceeded to fight with the card for about two weeks on two different systems. No matter what tricks I used, I could not get that card to behave from one boot to the next... It dawned on me that I did not need that card in my life; so I took Fry's up on the 100% satisfaction guarantee and returned the card. A burden was lifted from my sprits; really my outlook improved greatly!

I did my research for an appropriate GPU and decided upon an ASUS GTX 760 with 2 GB DDR5. OOB I had 4 displays and rock solid and no configuration needed. Just plug in a display and they worked - this is all in OS X as I don't run MS OS stuff any more.

Once I know about a good thing I am loyal... I now also own two MSI GTX 760 ITX GPUs. 4 displays is a given under Mavericks and Yosemite with these GPUs in both Chimera and Clover booting systems.

Now along comes the Maxwell Nvidia cards. My opinion is that they are in the same boat as the R9 270X card. Why would I jack with a card that is not 100% compatible with OS X? Again, this is my opinion which is not shared by all.

My point is that there are choices that we make. Some cause endless extra work. I have decided to avoid those problems when I can.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks Neil for the detailed response. I would think then that the 960 would be the best route to go then since its in the build guide multiple times, so I would think its support is quite good.

Well you should go do a search on bit-tech as the 960 performance is a marketing issue. If you are happy with the performance, cost and issues of support then have at it.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back