Contribute
Register

Upgrade hack, possible to keep Snow Leopard compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming5
CPU
[email protected]
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Performa
  5. Portable
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. Quadra
  9. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been a hackintosh user forawhile, and now it's time to upgrade my second hack.
Currently I have a Asus P5Q-Pro with an Intel E8500 (OC to 4.0GHz), and GTX285.

I was planning in keeping the GTX 285 which I still believe does give me enouh power for most of my gaming needs anyways.
I already have a new PSU (Corsair 850W) and plenty of disks.

The thing is that I would prefer to still be able to use Snow Leopard,
is this possible on a z77 chipset or do I have to get something older?

If SL compatibility is not possible, I'd like to stay on Lion and not ML.

So far my list is:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H (I guess this is one of the best cheap mobos around?)
Intel i5-2500k (I heard that i5-3570k is not working properly on Lion??)
2x 4GB 16000MHz DDR3.
And oh, I want to have the possibilty to overclock, I need a "k" CPU and a mobo with some OC features, which I believe the DS3H has (i know it's lacking vcore adjustments, but I should still be able to reach 4Ghz on standard vcore?)

My hack now is 100% working, which means all features works, sleep, audio and so forth,
and it is important for me that the new hack will do this too.
I understand that I might haveto sacrifice sleep perhaps on SL, but I can live with that.

Is the z77-ds3h and i5-2500k the best solution for me?

Why are you ok with running lion but don't want Mountain Lion? They are pretty much the same.
You can't buy lion anymore.

Why are you ok with running lion but don't want Mountain Lion? They are pretty much the same.
You can't buy lion anymore.

I already own Lion on MAS, so that won't be an issue. I actually have Lion installed on the machine too, but I rarely use it.

I appologize for bumping my own thread, but I would really like to know if it is possible for SL on z77 with a Sandy Bridge.

Also, for Lion, would sandy be a better choice on a z77 than a ivy on z77, or should I skip the whole DSDT less z77 and go for an older z68 with sandy?

I've been a hackintosh user forawhile, and now it's time to upgrade my second hack.
Currently I have a Asus P5Q-Pro with an Intel E8500 (OC to 4.0GHz), and GTX285.

I was planning in keeping the GTX 285 which I still believe does give me enouh power for most of my gaming needs anyways.
I already have a new PSU (Corsair 850W) and plenty of disks.

The thing is that I would prefer to still be able to use Snow Leopard,
is this possible on a z77 chipset or do I have to get something older?

If SL compatibility is not possible, I'd like to stay on Lion and not ML.

So far my list is:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H (I guess this is one of the best cheap mobos around?)
Intel i5-2500k (I heard that i5-3570k is not working properly on Lion??)
2x 4GB 16000MHz DDR3.
And oh, I want to have the possibilty to overclock, I need a "k" CPU and a mobo with some OC features, which I believe the DS3H has (i know it's lacking vcore adjustments, but I should still be able to reach 4Ghz on standard vcore?)

My hack now is 100% working, which means all features works, sleep, audio and so forth,
and it is important for me that the new hack will do this too.
I understand that I might haveto sacrifice sleep perhaps on SL, but I can live with that.

Is the z77-ds3h and i5-2500k the best solution for me?
referring to the specification section on the Gigabyte official website, ivy bridge will give you pcie express 3.0 speed on Z77-DS3H. I would say go for ivy bridge since you need graphic performance. another cheaper motherboard would be GA Z77P-D3.

I apologize for bumping my own thread, but I would really like to know if it is possible for SL on z77 with a Sandy Bridge.

Also, for Lion, would sandy be a better choice on a z77 than a ivy on z77, or should I skip the whole DSDT less z77 and go for an older z68 with sandy?

I have heard it is possible, but I have no chance to try it myself so I am not sure. Why don't you try it yourself?

If you wants to keep using Snow Leopard or Lion, a Sandy Bridge CPU with Z68 motherboard may be better since it is known to work (that is what I am using right now). A Z77 with Sandy may also work but definitely not an Ivy with Z77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back