Contribute
Register

Upgrade from a 4690K with 16Gb to a 4790K 32Gb ... worth it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
CPU
i5 4690k
Graphics
MSI GTX 980 4G
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

so presently i have the following system working with Yosemite 10.10.3

- Msi Z97 Gaming 7
- 2 x 8Gb Kingston Savage 2400
- Intel i5 4690K
- GTX 980

I have the possibility of a business at a discount price for the following parts
- i7 4790K
- 2 x 8Gb Kingston Savage 2400

So basically i would change the CPU and add 16gb of ram more. I would try to sell the i5 down the road.

But my question is, do you think is this worth it? Although this business is a discount price, it's still a good amount of money ( 375Eur vs 500Eur street price ).

Use of this machine
- Web development & UI Design ( illustrator, sketch, IntelliJ IDEA, Codekit, MAMP ... these are some of the apps i use )

- Gaming ( dual boot with Windows 10 ).

So i just needed your input ... any of you guys add a similar "upgrade" ( even if it was just the CPU ). Don't know if i will get that much of a benefit or not under OSX ( this upgrade is not intended for the gaming use of course ).

Thank you all
Pedro S.

For your usage it doesn't look like you'd be any better off with the I7. If you were
working with video then it would. More ram is always a good thing but if what you've
got now is sufficient stay with that.

Thanks trs :)
Yeah, my mind was trying create arguments why i should pick this promo ... but at the end of the day ... the benefits would be close to none ( and after 1 week of use, i think i would be so used to the system that i would have second thoughts about the money i spent on an "almost side step" ) :) Bigger epeen only i guess :)

Thank you for your input :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back