EVGA GeForce 660ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I bought a new gtx 460 to upgrade my hack from the 9800 gt that i had in there. The system was working fine prior to installing the 460. I figured that since there are no special options for individual cards in the multibeast step of the install, I should have everything I need to just drop the new card in, right? I must be wrong, because on boot up it stalls at the apple logo, then just shuts down.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions to get me headed in the right direction?

jlearman said:
Hey guys,

I bought a new gtx 460 to upgrade my hack from the 9800 gt that i had in there. The system was working fine prior to installing the 460. I figured that since there are no special options for individual cards in the multibeast step of the install, I should have everything I need to just drop the new card in, right? I must be wrong, because on boot up it stalls at the apple logo, then just shuts down.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions to get me headed in the right direction?

I believe ur hack is trying to configure the 460 with the 9800 kexts. This gives u a kp when bootin prolly. I say you boot in safe mode with your 460 in ur comp and install tony's nvidia update. Boot -f the next time to force it to recognize the new hardware. Your gfx should be working by now.

Post back on the results.

did you install the nvidia graphics drivers
2.1 for 10.6.7
and official for 10.6.8

upton_oliver said:
I believe ur hack is trying to configure the 460 with the 9800 kexts. This gives u a kp when bootin prolly. I say you boot in safe mode with your 460 in ur comp and install tony's nvidia update. Boot -f the next time to force it to recognize the new hardware. Your gfx should be working by now.

That makes sense... I'll give it a try tonight.

The only thing I did to get the gfx working was install the "NVEnabler" and "NVIDIA 256.02.05f01" from multibeast, which I believe is the equivalent of tony's Nvidia update.

Hm... system won't boot into safe mode with GTX 460 in. All I need to do is type -x as the boot options screen, right? When I do that it tries to book & then just shuts down after about 3 seconds.

Any other options?

K. How bout you uninstall all of the kexts you used for the 9800 while it is in. Shut down and flip them out and reinstall tony's nvidia drivers then restart with -f to force recache of kexts. Boot with -v on as well so you can tell us what causes the kp if it may happen again

I'm not sure how to uninstall kexts... Sorry, I'm a noob at this.

I decided to start from scratch and reinstall the whole system, but that's not working either. I've tried about 3 times and after running the 10.6.8 combo update, and multibeast, it freezes at the apple screen on reboot. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm following the same steps that I listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=22998

I have the same problem with my 460. After a fresh install (using the 460 card), OSX boots up fine. Then, once I install the 10.6.8 combo update and Multibeast, and then reboot the system hangs at the loading screen. I swapped out my GTX 285 into the machine and it boots up fine now, in fact I'm typing this very message from 10.6.8. But I want my new 460!

Good to know it's not just me. Have you tried with 10.6.6 or 10.6.7? Wonder if either of those would work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back