Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77x-UP5-TH
CPU
Intel i7 3770
Graphics
GeForce GTX 670
Hi All,

First of all, thank you for all of the wonderful people in this community for your guides and all the rest. It is a welcome place for everyone (even computer idiots----->this guy).

I built a 7 Series CustoMac Pro back in 2013 and was running Mavericks on it for the longest time. Finally decided to move up to Sierra and spent the better part of the last week doing that (I know, not the best with computers and am even surprised I was able to build my own in the first place). I do use my Hackintosh for casual gaming (WoW, League, Steam games, etc.) as well as your typical home office stuff. I was wondering if I (1) should think about upgrading my components, (2) how that works, and (3) what are my options/limitations?

I am assuming I can't just select any new GPU and drop it into my current system. I am sure it is a little more restrictive or involved than that. So given my system, what are your thoughts?
  • i7-3770
  • GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
  • GeForce GTX 670
  • Corsair 650W
  • Corsair 500R

Actually, you can install a new GPU - you could go up to an Nvidia Pascal (GTX 10x0) card, all you'd have to do is install the Nvidia alternate drivers (because macOS doesn't natively support the Pascal platform). You don't mention how much RAM you have, or whether or not your system runs on an SSD, but those are also potential upgrade avenues. Adding RAM is one of the simplest upgrades you can do, and if you don't already have an SSD, upgrading from a rotational HDD to an SSD will give you the best bang for your upgrade buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back