Contribute
Register

Updating to Yosemite: Easier, tougher, or about the same as installing previous versions of Mac OS?

How's your experience been w/upgrading to the new Yosemite OS?

• Easier than previous versions of OS X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About the same as earlier versions of OS X

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yosemite is the toughest yet!

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had two answers.

When I installed Yosemite via Chameleon it worked perfectly and I had no issues. I was up and running in an hour or so.

The hard part was that I decided to migrate to Clover, meaning it added about two days onto the install. However, for my troubles, it appears I have an almost fully functioning version of Yosemite, with iMessage (no Handoff, or Airdrop though).

So ya, it was easy, but hard.

Personally, it was the toughest since 10.6

1. The Installer took forever because he had to copy my MacTex installation
2. You'll need the kext-dev-mode flag, which i don't like, because this feature can be removed by apple (hopefully they will refrain from that)
3. I get random KP's if I don't boot from a boot loader installation in the EFI Partition, which additionally rules out my internal 3TB HDD as Bootloader Location forcing me to boot from a USB-Stick
4. I had multiple KP's when I tried to boot during installation, and my second test partition even got randomly unbootable, i had to boot with -x to get it back.
5. I now have to force a kernel cache update, as Yosemite doesn't seem to do this automatically anymore.
6. The HDAEnabler stopped working (Audio-Id didn't change from 0), so I had to add additional code to my SSDT.
7. NullCPUPowerManagement stopped my machine from booting, now i have to go without NullCPU (i don't have a custom DSDT!)
8. GenericUSBXHCI stopped my USB from working (in Mavericks everything was fine), so I had to remove it
9. My Installation bootup log is full of unsolvable errors (cosmetic ones), which is driving me nuts.

I had to spend my entire Sunday to get this **** working... On the + Side, my Intel I217V doesn't crash with the AppleIntelE1000e anymore, and the system seems faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back