Contribute
Register

Updating to High Sierra, is still my HW full compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68MX-UD2H-B3 rev1.3 BIOS F11
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
Nvidia GTX970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I made an Hackintosh several years ago, with really good components (for compatibility), I currently run Yosemite on that (without EFI Clover) and I'd like to know if the setup is still good with the new High Sierra update, since I use my built for audio/video production and some software don't work anymore on Yosemite unless you use old versions of them.

Setup:

-Motherboard : Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 1.3 (updated to F11 bootloader, not EFI)
-CPU: Intel i7 2600K
-RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue Edition
-GPU: Nvidia GTX970

Thanks!

Hi, I made an Hackintosh several years ago, with really good components (for compatibility), I currently run Yosemite on that (without EFI Clover) and I'd like to know if the setup is still good with the new High Sierra update, since I use my built for audio/video production and some software don't work anymore on Yosemite unless you use old versions of them.

Setup:

-Motherboard : Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 1.3 (updated to F11 bootloader, not EFI)
-CPU: Intel i7 2600K
-RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue Edition
-GPU: Nvidia GTX970

Thanks!

Yes, I think so. But you might want to wait a little time until the new versions of Unibeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra are released before attempting to install High Sierra.

Yes, I think so. But you might want to wait a little time until the new versions of Unibeast and MultiBeast for High Sierra are released before attempting to install High Sierra.
Ok but do you think should I use Clover and UEFI bios or I can continue running the system without Clover?

Ok but do you think should I use Clover and UEFI bios or I can continue running the system without Clover?

To use High Sierra (and also Sierra / El Capitan) you have to use the Clover bootloader. If you move to High Sierra you will need to replace the Chimera bootloader with Clover.

As to whether you need to update your motherboard's BIOS to a UEFI version (there is one available on the Gigabyte website for your motherboard) in order to use High Sierra, I don't think so. Previous versions of Unibeast allows you to specify "Legacy Boot" which supports motherboards like yours with traditional BIOS instead of UEFI BIOS.

To use High Sierra (and also Sierra / El Capitan) you have to use the Clover bootloader. If you move to High Sierra you will need to replace the Chimera bootloader with Clover.

As to whether you need to update your motherboard's BIOS to a UEFI version (there is one available on the Gigabyte website for your motherboard) in order to use High Sierra, I don't think so. Previous versions of Unibeast allows you to specify "Legacy Boot" which supports motherboards like yours with traditional BIOS instead of UEFI BIOS.
Ok thank you for the answer, I saw that Multibeast and Unibeast for HG have been released. Do you think I have to update my BIOS, or I can keep the old one without UEFI?

Thanks

Ok thank you for the answer, I saw that Multibeast and Unibeast for HS have been released. Do you think I have to update my BIOS, or I can keep the old one without UEFI? Thanks.

I have not tried to install High Sierra yet, but no, I don't think you have to update your BIOS to UEFI to use High Sierra, although you can choose to if you want. The UEFI BIOS has some useful features over the traditional BIOS, such as the ability to enable / disable individual SATA ports without actually disconnecting the cables, which I found quite useful.

I encountered an issue when I installed Sierra (not High Sierra) on one of my traditional BIOS motherboards, the GA-P67A-UD3R-B3, which was my main system before I upgrade to my current Kaby Lake system. After Sierra had been installed, I found that the BIOS was locked by an unknown password! I had never set a password on the BIOS and I was quite certain it was caused by the Sierra installation. I reset the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard and was able to remove the password.

So if you elect to retain the traditional BIOS perhaps you should check whether the same would happen after installing High Sierra.

I know this thread has been dead for a few months but I just wanted to confirm that I have the same setup as you (except for the video card) and I updated to High Sierra just fine with only minor problems (HD3000 video not in full resolution, and does not sleep).

I updated my BIOS to UEFI and selected Legacy Boot in Multibeast. I also decided to keep my HDD with HFS instead of converting to APFS because of (rumored) performance issues.

If anyone can help me with the video resolution and sleep problems, please let me know. Thanks!!! :)

I know this thread has been dead for a few months but I just wanted to confirm that I have the same setup as you (except for the video card) and I updated to High Sierra just fine with only minor problems (HD3000 video not in full resolution, and does not sleep).

I updated my BIOS to UEFI and selected Legacy Boot in Multibeast. I also decided to keep my HDD with HFS instead of converting to APFS because of (rumored) performance issues.

If anyone can help me with the video resolution and sleep problems, please let me know. Thanks!!! :)

maybe I'm just confused but... why did you choose Legacy Boot if you have UEFI? I known that Legacy was just for old AWARD BIOS..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back