Updating to 10.9.4 and Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 H67
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
nVidia GeForce 210, Intel HD 3000 (on mobo-unused)
**Important: If you've used a MultiBeast version previous to MulitBeast version 6.3 and updated to 10.9.4, you should do a complete MultiBeast configuration "load" using your previously saved ".mb" file. MultiBeast 6.3 changes how audio is done and needs Chimera v3+ to run correctly.

I'm lost here. I know that my previous installs have used an earlier version of Multibeast but I cannot find any .mb file anywhere on the system. Where would I find it or how would I create one? Also, is there an easy way to tell which version of Multibeast was used most recently (if that matters)?

If you haven't run MultiBeast in a while, you probably didn't use the newer MultiBeast versions that allow you to save your MultiBeast configuration in a file (.mb). So, get the latest version of MultiBeast and do a reload (for example):

:ch: Repair Permissions using the Disk Utility on the drive to be updated;*
:ch: Backup your current installation using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper;
:ch: Download the latest MultiBeast for Mavericks which has the latest drivers;
:ch: Run MultiBeast and selection the following:
:ch: Quick Start > DSDT-Free
:ch: Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > ALC892
:ch: Drivers > Disk > Trim Enabler <--- Optional for SSDs (most SSDs will need it)
:ch: Drivers > Network > either or both of the following:
:ch: Atheros > AtherosL1cEthernet <--- Ethernet cable to the Atheros Ethernet port
:ch: Intel > AppleIntelE1000e​
:ch: Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac14 (",1" for i3/i5 processors and ",2" for i7)
Note: toleda has suggested that we use the following:
iMac14,1 - HD4600 only, or
iMac14,2 - HD4600 and discrete graphics card or discrete graphics only​
Note: Optional > Use a processor specific SSDT, independent of SysDef. See toleda's guide
:ch: Build <--- To see your full configuration
:ch: Save <--- Save your MultiBeast configuration file somewhere convenient
:ch: Install​
:ch: Re-boot; and
:ch: Repair Permissions again.*​

Until MultiBeast can be updated with the new TRIM patch, use one of the following TRIM patchers:
- TRIM Enabler program successfully enabled TRIM in 10.9.4. TRIM Enabler is free; the Pro version costs $10 USD;
- https://gist.github.com/slagdang/4485183 and
- http://www.return1.at/trim-enabler-for-osx/

* You can use the Terminal instead of Disk Utility if you feel comfortable with a UNIX command:
Code:
 sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Article: OS X 10.9.4 Update

I'm lost here. I know that my previous installs have used an earlier version of Multibeast but I cannot find any .mb file anywhere on the system. Where would I find it or how would I create one? Also, is there an easy way to tell which version of Multibeast was used most recently (if that matters)?
Its probable that when you previously used Multibeast and configured your settings you didnt save them - instead just applied/installed your setup.

After configuring your settings, in the top right of Multibeast there's a save button which produces the .mb file. If you did save it, i think the default location is the documents folder. :thumbup:

What about those hasty people who didn't read the post (like me)?

I updated using the combo updater and using MB 6.4 I reinstalled the options applicable to my hack (
- Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Without DSDT > ALC 892
- Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 Trim Patch
- Drivers > Network > Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000 v2.5.4d
)

I am using a Gigabyte GA-z87n-wifi with i5 3430

After the update I lost sound and while installing MB, i keep getting the message "System extension can't be used".

What should I do to undo the damage?

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to reply to this just to say that the attempt to upgrade to 10.9.4 couldn't possibly have gone worse. I will spare you the gory details but suffice it to say that I had to reinstall from scratch, which was made more difficult by the fact that somewhere along the line the failed upgrade managed to corrupt the thumb drive I used for installation. Fortunately I had a backup of that.

So I wound up having to do a full reinstall, but at least this time I used the newest Multibeast and saved the .mb file. But what was really my salvation was the OS X Migration Assistant, which is in the utilities directory (off of Applications) and also is offered after you do a fresh install. I had never used that before because I thought it was only for importing settings from other systems, but after watching a video I realized that it was good for restoring programs and data from a Time Machine backup, which fortunately I had (I was smart enough to keep that drive unplugged during the failed upgrade, so it didn't get corrupted). Basically it will restore everything EXCEPT the operating system (and any directories you have excluded from your Time Machine backup), and that is what you probably want. After using that and selecting everything it could restore, the system rebooted and when it came back up it looked and worked almost as it had before the upgrade. There were a few things that were a little off, mainly programs where the registration data had to be re-entered, but all in all I was back up and running in hours rather than days, as is usually the case when I do a full reinstall.

I probably would not have done that if this had been a major version upgrade, but since I was staying with Mavericks I figured it was worth a try, and am I glad I tried it. So if anyone else has a Hackintosh upgrade go south on you, try reinstalling the operating system as if you were doing a fresh install, then run the newest Multibeast, then immediately apply the upgrade (remember to fix permissions after each step), and then if that works use Migration Assistant to get your programs and data back from your Time Machine backup (check all the boxes to let it restore everything it possibly can). This will get you about 98% of the way back to where you were and most everything else is just a matter of letting software do its thing, or re-entering registrations (only had to do that on about three programs, but Little Snitch was one), or checking settings to see if they are how you want them. Basically it seemed as if programs stored their data in userspace (somewhere within my home directory) then I was good to go, but if they stored data someplace that's supposed to be reserved for the operating system then that was an issue, particularly for non-Apple software. That data is probably also still available in your Time Machine backup, but Migration Assistant won't bring it in because it doesn't overwrite anything that has to do with the operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back