Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev.2, BIOS FF)
CPU
i7-950
Graphics
HD 6870
Hey guys,

I've kinda fallen behind keeping my hackintosh up to date. Still caught on 10.6.5.

What issues am I up against upgrading to 10.6.7?

note: this is the first time I'll be upgrading the os and I totally forget which extensions and stuff were used to get up and running. In my head it's just a blur of zillions of tutorials and super helpful post from tonymac users :)

basic stats are as follows :

i7 950
Gigabyte UD3R rev 2.0
Apple ATI HD 5770

DSDT from tonymac database (forgot which bios version, doh!)
ATY_Init, GraphicsEnabler=No ("Hoolock" framebuffer)

featherodd said:
Hey guys,

I've kinda fallen behind keeping my hackintosh up to date. Still caught on 10.6.5.

What issues am I up against upgrading to 10.6.7?

note: this is the first time I'll be upgrading the os and I totally forget which extensions and stuff were used to get up and running. In my head it's just a blur of zillions of tutorials and super helpful post from tonymac users :)

basic stats are as follows :

i7 950
Gigabyte UD3R rev 2.0
Apple ATI HD 5770

DSDT from tonymac database (forgot which bios version, doh!)
ATY_Init, GraphicsEnabler=No ("Hoolock" framebuffer)

Argh ! You really haven't updated for a while. Please check my signature for the CustoMac thread. There's no need to have ATI_Init anymore ! :)

You can find most of the kexts you added in your HDD folder Extras/Extensions, AppleHDARollback is in System/Library/Extensions. That should get you most of the info. you need.

I updated from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 and didn't have to run MultiBeast as nothing broke, though not sure if that applies to going from 10.6.5. to 10.6.7

Thanks for help guys.

SnapMan: thanks for the reminder. looks like I'm rocking fakesmc, jMicron6xSATA, DSDT, LegacyHDA.kext and ATY_init. not much else though.

notshy: great CustoMac guide. is it still up to date for the latest osx/multibeast. Seems i'm using most of the same extension. Do I have it right that if I follow your guide and update to the latest ATI Chameleon I should be able to add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist and delete ATY_init?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

To get my Apple ATI card rocking in 64bit?

Do you know if this introduces any new issues. Like should I still be able to wake from sleep using my 27" ACD?

featherodd said:
Thanks for help guys.

SnapMan: thanks for the reminder. looks like I'm rocking fakesmc, jMicron6xSATA, DSDT, LegacyHDA.kext and ATY_init. not much else though.

notshy: great CustoMac guide. is it still up to date for the latest osx/multibeast. Seems i'm using most of the same extension. Do I have it right that if I follow your guide and update to the latest ATI Chameleon I should be able to add the following to com.apple.Boot.plist and delete ATY_init?

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

To get my Apple ATI card rocking in 64bit?

Do you know if this introduces any new issues. Like should I still be able to wake from sleep using my 27" ACD?
Since you have a Apple 5770, try the new ATI drivers in the latest MultiBeast 3.4 from the 2011 MBP update and set graphics enabler to no.

Attachments

• MB ATI Drivers.png
    MB ATI Drivers.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 171
Going Bald: wow! sweeet. will try that first :)

I'm all updated to 10.6.7 with the latest realtek drivers from lnx2mac, ACL8xxHDA from macman, BUT I also switched to the Apple MB 2011 ATI drivers and now and my Geekbench scores have dropped by almost 300 points and Unity 3D runs like a slug!! Seems like a graphics issues. QC/CI appears to be still working. How the heck do I roll back to ATY_init?

P.s. My hack boots to the 64bit kernel now but I then loose the ability to wake from sleep.

EDIT: looks like I was a bit premature just throwing in the new ATI drivers: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15798
not sure yet what to make of this guide in regards to the Apple ATI 5770... side not, why the do I need to enable this card when it's a native Apple card. seems odd.

Notshy: I just read through your Guide on using the New ATI Kexts. thanks for making this. It totally breaks down everything about the framebuffer not being properly set thus the Geekbench issues. Gonna give it a try.

featherodd said:
Notshy: I just read through your Guide on using the New ATI Kexts. thanks for making this. It totally breaks down everything about the framebuffer not being properly set thus the Geekbench issues. Gonna give it a try.

I was about to post about that.

Can you please put your full hardware in your signature also ? It's a great help when jumping between threads to know who has what.

Good luck !

i just tried the ATI kext guide and now I get the following on boot
thanks_to_this_guide01.jpg

I was all updated to 10.6.7, bios FF and updated DSDT. booting fine with the new ATY kexts, GraphicsEnabler = yes, 32bit and the ATI Chameleon Bootloader.

after I switched my DSDT with the one you posted changing Vervet to Hoolock. I reran Multibeast to disable GraphicsEnabler and repaired permissions via Multibeast. Doubled checked permissions on DSDT.aml and rebooted. now on boot there's a kernal panic.

Looks like other users are the same boat :

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15798&start=290

Can't boot with iBoot either.

.... ... will update my signature...

edit: signature updated

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back