CPU
Ryzen Threadripper 3970x
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guide on how to update Cover so it works every time.

Note: after Clover builds 2.5 5000, drivers folder layout has changed

Things needed:
Latest Clover release installer package;
Clover Configurator;
USB drive (will be your EFI test partition - I use my Mojave and Catalina Installers USB (16GB)) -
if it don't work, I can restore EFI from working system drive - going back to Clover that worked.

1 Start Clover Configurator
2 Mount working EFI partition
3 Mount USB EFI partition or other EFI partition you want to use for testing
4 Use Clover cloner function clone working EFI to test EFI partition if you mounted them in order I explained above it would be "EFI to EFI 1"
5 Start Clover installer package
6 Picking the drivers you are currently using (we want to update clover drivers on each update)
7 Install to EFI test partition
8 I would double check that any additional drivers and kexts are still in correct place
especially if you are updating to clover build above 5000 from like 49xx version
move any drivers and kexts to proper folders delete any duplicate drivers
9 verify the config.plist in test EFI is from original EFI partition
I would use Clover Configurator or your favorite plist editor and check over your Clover config.plist

Time to test your new Cover. I would test it at least 5 times before the next steps.
Do a few reboots picking or setting your test EFI partition to be booted instead of original working EFI partition.
Picking your working system drive at Cover GUI.
Use system as normal but reboot after some time each time.
If any issues occur, you can go back to original just by booting from system drive and not USB to troubleshoot test EFI boot partition.

if it works,time to clone it to your system drive.

10 Open Clover Configurator
11 Mount test EFI (now that it works)
12 Mount system EFI
13 Clone Clover from test EFI to system EFI if you mounted as listed in 11 and 12 it will be "EFI to EFI 1"

If I make a change to system EFI that breaks something on reboot, I use USB to reboot and undo the change.
if it works after a few reboots, it becomes part of USB EFI.
And, since I test each new release of Clover by using the method I outlined here, only skipping working EFI to USB (it already works).
If system is stable and can USB EFI multiple times, I clone to system drive.

Intresting thread @foster
I am looking for a practical guide on updating Clover, and here it is. Thanks again.

Some question:
1. When you say Clone Clover, is it as simple as copy-paste-ing the EFI folder from one into the other?
2. If I understand correctly, the sequence is to make backup on my Test USB EFI folder, then updating Clover using Clover installer to my test USB drive, then try booting using USB and running system from existing disk (Test USB is only to test Clover boot, while system runs using existing Clovwr at system drive)?

Thanks.

I use the Clover Cloner feature in Clover configurator

Last edited:
Intresting thread @foster
I am looking for a practical guide on updating Clover, and here it is. Thanks again.

Some question:
1. When you say Clone Clover, is it as simple as copy-paste-ing the EFI folder from one into the other?
2. If I understand correctly, the sequence is to make backup on my Test USB EFI folder, then updating Clover using Clover installer to my test USB drive, then try booting using USB and running system from existing disk (Test USB is only to test Clover boot, while system runs using existing Clovwr at system drive)?

Thanks.
CLOVER Cloner Menu is NOT available in older Versions of CCG; it is in CCG 5.5.0.0 as you can see in the Image.
Clover Cloner in CCG 5.5.0.0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back