1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I have an HP 4530s laptop and I'm trying to update the bios. I currently have f.0A and I've downloaded f.30.

I can't seem to install the bios. I get a bios failed message. How the F do I install the bios?

I'm trying to install Mountain Loin on this computer and the install failed also. I wasn't sure it was the bios hence my first question.

I have an HP 4530s laptop and I'm trying to update the bios. I currently have f.0A and I've downloaded f.30.

I can't seem to install the bios. I get a bios failed message. How the F do I install the bios?

I'm trying to install Mountain Loin on this computer and the install failed also. I wasn't sure it was the bios hence my first question.

Do you have Windows still installed on the laptop? If so, it is pretty easy to update the BIOS as there is a Windows .EXE that your run (download from HP's site). If you don't, you need to follow HP's instructions for creating a USB stick with the BIOS update on it. You will need a Windows computer to create that stick. It is probably best to use a "normal" USB stick... nothing fancy... no high capacity ones (ie. 8GB or less)... no USB3... just normal USB2 sticks. If I remember right, the stick it creates boots into FreeDOS and it does the BIOS update via a DOS program.

Thanks again...

no, no windows yet. I'm waiting for a recovery disk from hp.

Yeah, I read their web site instructions. Seems I need a windows computer no matter what. I didn't understand their instructions, but was reading it with nothing to compare to.

I discovered why my install failed. Somehow the contact board in my 8Gb flash drive got shoved into the case. I just got it about a month ago! I reinstalled unibeast/ml on a usb hard drive and installed on the hp. It installed and booted ok.

I've check various items in mulibeast and installed. I've done this four times now, each time using less items, the last time, just adding the bootloader, but I get a kernel panic at startup each time. I have to erase and reinstall ml each time. This is getting old.

I jumped on this project because I read the hp4530s is a slam dunk hackintosh. So far this whole this has been a cluster F. I don't know if the older bios is a problem or not.

Not sure where to go from here...

Thanks again...

no, no windows yet. I'm waiting for a recovery disk from hp.

Yeah, I read their web site instructions. Seems I need a windows computer no matter what. I didn't understand their instructions, but was reading it with nothing to compare to.

I discovered why my install failed. Somehow the contact board in my 8Gb flash drive got shoved into the case. I just got it about a month ago! I reinstalled unibeast/ml on a usb hard drive and installed on the hp. It installed and booted ok.

I've check various items in mulibeast and installed. I've done this four times now, each time using less items, the last time, just adding the bootloader, but I get a kernel panic at startup each time. I have to erase and reinstall ml each time. This is getting old.

I jumped on this project because I read the hp4530s is a slam dunk hackintosh. So far this whole this has been a cluster F. I don't know if the older bios is a problem or not.

Not sure where to go from here...

Don't use Multibeast. Use the Probook Installer. And follow the guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

(If you are installing Lion, there is a similar guide using the same installer in the Lion Probook Forum)

Don't use Multibeast. Use the Probook Installer. And follow the guide here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

(If you are installing Lion, there is a similar guide using the same installer in the Lion Probook Forum)

Ok, didn't know that. I've downloaded and I'm in the process of installing once more. My Windows 7 disks arrived just now, so hopefully I can install and update the bios.

To be sure you have been a big help to me personally, and I know there are several others that contribute to this web site and the hackintosh project. To all of you, I want to tell you that I appreciate all your hard work and the depth of knowledge you have, to do what you do. Thank you very much.

That being said, I have a comment as a newbie here... There are installers, patchers, boot loaders, post installers, notes, and guides scattered all over the place. Why isn't there a single page with all the downloads available on this web site? It should be organized by category with an adequate description of what it is and what it does. Each item should have all versions available with release dates and compatibility recommendations.

Yeah, that was pretty ballsy... But, I've have wandered all over this site looking for information. Many forum threads provide a link to a guide (or something else) which just links to another forum thread. The link you provided above is a perfect example. I had to dig through pages of posts to find what you were pointing me to. I'm sure your intention was to tell me 'It's in this pile, find it', and I'm not too lazy to hunt, but I'm new and don't quite understand the conventions here. I'm guessing posts would drop by 1/3 if there was an up-to-date comprehensive page with everything listed. Then you can point to that page if asked, but I'm sure most will find on their own. The entire organization of this site is a bit scattered. Well, that's my 2¢...

Ok, didn't know that. I've downloaded and I'm in the process of installing once more. My Windows 7 disks arrived just now, so hopefully I can install and update the bios.

To be sure you have been a big help to me personally, and I know there are several others that contribute to this web site and the hackintosh project. To all of you, I want to tell you that I appreciate all your hard work and the depth of knowledge you have, to do what you do. Thank you very much.

That being said, I have a comment as a newbie here... There are installers, patchers, boot loaders, post installers, notes, and guides scattered all over the place. Why isn't there a single page with all the downloads available on this web site? It should be organized by category with an adequate description of what it is and what it does. Each item should have all versions available with release dates and compatibility recommendations.

Yeah, that was pretty ballsy... But, I've have wandered all over this site looking for information. Many forum threads provide a link to a guide (or something else) which just links to another forum thread. The link you provided above is a perfect example. I had to dig through pages of posts to find what you were pointing me to. I'm sure your intention was to tell me 'It's in this pile, find it', and I'm not too lazy to hunt, but I'm new and don't quite understand the conventions here. I'm guessing posts would drop by 1/3 if there was an up-to-date comprehensive page with everything listed. Then you can point to that page if asked, but I'm sure most will find on their own. The entire organization of this site is a bit scattered. Well, that's my 2¢...

Well, first of all you should realize that none of us are paid for doing anything on this site. It is a system of volunteers. And it takes time to organize things. Personally, the HP Probook sites are pretty well organized, with sticky threads pointing you to the most important and current information. It took me quite a bit of time to write and test those guides/FAQs, etc, all the while going about my regular life, not to mention developing a bunch of code for the Probook. Not everyone that volunteers here has as much time as I do.

But as far as the link I just gave you and having to dig through a bunch of stuff there... I don't think so. It is a direct link to a step-by-step guide for installing on the Probook. And that post is near the top of the Mountain Lion Probook forum. So, assuming you bump into the Probook ML forum, you can't miss the guide. I would agree with you that the rest of the site could take a page from the Probook forums and have up-to-date and relavent sticky threads, but doing so is time consuming and not always possible given the range of different hardware each forum must deal with (the Probook forum is unique in that way -- for the most part very limited range of hardware is directly supported).

Well, first of all you should realize that none of us are paid for doing anything on this site. It is a system of volunteers. And it takes time to organize things. Personally, the HP Probook sites are pretty well organized, with sticky threads pointing you to the most important and current information. It took me quite a bit of time to write and test those guides/FAQs, etc, all the while going about my regular life, not to mention developing a bunch of code for the Probook. Not everyone that volunteers here has as much time as I do.

But as far as the link I just gave you and having to dig through a bunch of stuff there... I don't think so. It is a direct link to a step-by-step guide for installing on the Probook. And that post is near the top of the Mountain Lion Probook forum. So, assuming you bump into the Probook ML forum, you can't miss the guide. I would agree with you that the rest of the site could take a page from the Probook forums and have up-to-date and relavent sticky threads, but doing so is time consuming and not always possible given the range of different hardware each forum must deal with (the Probook forum is unique in that way -- for the most part very limited range of hardware is directly supported).

Hi Rehabman...

I kind of knew that was going to be taken wrong (or badly). I was only trying to provide a point of view, you may not be aware of. Whether you do anything about it is ok with me.

I know everyone involved here is not doing it for profit and we benefit from your knowledge and due diligence. I volunteer once a week at our local learning center, teaching beginning and intermediate Mac classes. I just got home, today is my day. I too don't get paid for this and I understand to abuse and reward issues of volunteering. Please don't think I don't appreciate you all for the existence of this site and the work you are doing.

The experience you are getting can not be the same as I'm getting here. I have no explanation for this, but I can assure you I have never experienced what you are describing. The link you provided took me to a forum thread that did say mountain lion installation guide at the top, but showed post #56 of that thread. In the past few days I've scoured this site and every time I click a link in a forum post for a guide it takes me to another forum thread and nothing related to the guide is available.

What I suggested was completely outside of the forums, a single page with all the guides and downloads available. I can't explain why I'm having this experience. I'm on an iMac 27" running Lion and using Safari. What I see is not functional and I'm sure you would say the same if you could see it from my computer. I have found navigating around your site almost unusable. This is why mentioned it. I'm not a complete bozo, I have an electrical engineering degree and a computer science degree, so I'm not immune to stupidity, but it is not a common occurrence.

As for the original post. I received my Windows 7 discs from HP. It came in two disks, Windows on one and drivers and all the HP crap on another. I was able to install Windows 7 without the HP stuff, Whoo-Hoo! I was able to update the bios from there. I installed Mountain Lion and used the HP installer to do the patches. I haven't installed Ubuntu yet, but I did do all the updates for windows and mac sides.

The only thing I've found that doesn't work is Wi-Fi under ml. Doesn't even show it's available. Is this another patch or am I screwed on this? This is kind of a deal breaker for me. I needs my wi-fi....

Hi Rehabman...

I kind of knew that was going to be taken wrong (or badly). I was only trying to provide a point of view, you may not be aware of. Whether you do anything about it is ok with me.

I know everyone involved here is not doing it for profit and we benefit from your knowledge and due diligence. I volunteer once a week at our local learning center, teaching beginning and intermediate Mac classes. I just got home, today is my day. I too don't get paid for this and I understand to abuse and reward issues of volunteering. Please don't think I don't appreciate you all for the existence of this site and the work you are doing.

The experience you are getting can not be the same as I'm getting here. I have no explanation for this, but I can assure you I have never experienced what you are describing. The link you provided took me to a forum thread that did say mountain lion installation guide at the top, but showed post #56 of that thread. In the past few days I've scoured this site and every time I click a link in a forum post for a guide it takes me to another forum thread and nothing related to the guide is available.

What I suggested was completely outside of the forums, a single page with all the guides and downloads available. I can't explain why I'm having this experience. I'm on an iMac 27" running Lion and using Safari. What I see is not functional and I'm sure you would say the same if you could see it from my computer. I have found navigating around your site almost unusable. This is why mentioned it. I'm not a complete bozo, I have an electrical engineering degree and a computer science degree, so I'm not immune to stupidity, but it is not a common occurrence.

Maybe you should check for proper operation of your browser. The link I posted is this:
Code:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

It is a direct link to the thread and should show the first post, not the last (there are 56 posts in that thread as of now).

Maybe try Chrome.

As for the original post. I received my Windows 7 discs from HP. It came in two disks, Windows on one and drivers and all the HP crap on another. I was able to install Windows 7 without the HP stuff, Whoo-Hoo! I was able to update the bios from there. I installed Mountain Lion and used the HP installer to do the patches. I haven't installed Ubuntu yet, but I did do all the updates for windows and mac sides.

Super!

The only thing I've found that doesn't work is Wi-Fi under ml. Doesn't even show it's available. Is this another patch or am I screwed on this? This is kind of a deal breaker for me. I needs my wi-fi....

You must have Atheros 9285 for WiFi to work. It is supported natively on OS X, and none of the other HP 4530s BIOS whitelisted cards are supported. You can check in Windows to see what board you have. If you don't have Atheros, it is an easy/inexpensive replacement.

For more information see the FAQ (here we go again with the direct link): http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77058-faq-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

Maybe you should check for proper operation of your browser. The link I posted is this:
Code:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

It is a direct link to the thread and should show the first post, not the last (there are 56 posts in that thread as of now).

Interesting - with Safari 6.02 this link goes to the newest post (last). With Firefox 17.01 it goes to the first post (oldest) containing the guide.

-bth

Thanks bthall,

When I read your post, I thought thank god, I'm not having a stroke!

And Thanks rehabman,

rehabman thank you for your patients in all this... I tried Chrome and Firefox, both did the same thing as with Safari. I just logged in to report the screwiness is on all browsers I checked. As I was logging in, my eye caught 'Settings', and I said hmmmm. Guess what, the default setting for ordering posts in a thread is last first! I changed to first first and all is well. Wish I knew that a few days ago...

Anyway, now that I can get to the link you refer to, I'll go check out wi-fi cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back