Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering what to do with my 2013 built Z77X UD5 TH / i3770K which was made using the wonderful resources and knowledge of the people on the splendid site. Alas I have not even switched on the machine since 2016.

I realize the hardware is now quite outdated. There may also be compatibility issues with the latest generation not only of macOS but also the environment below the operating system that we need to create to keep macOS happy in its unnatural environment.

I was thinking of getting a Z490 motherboard and starting from scratch with 10th generation Intel. But then I saw Apple’s announcement of its future rolling departure from Intel architecture.

I’m tempted to see what I can do to update my original hack to make it as reliable and functional as possible. I’m not a power user, the most important thing for me is to be able to run my two 27” Thunderbolt displays. As you can see, I’m quite sentimental. I realize the A1407 is an antique but I just love the way it looks and indeed the way it displays.

I wonder if anyone here would very kindly suggest a sensible way forward based on more recent experience of the hardware I have and perhaps the alternatives that might make more sense despite the recent announcement?

Most grateful for thoughts you might wish to share.

You didn't say what version is running on your Z77 system. I'm running Mojave on Thunderball which works quiet well. Do you have any iOS devices?

The 490's are new, and, at this time, only run macOS using OpenCore which is still in beta and is not trivial to use. I'm going to try OpenCore as I have Asus ProArt Z490 Creator that I'm assembling. Hopefully, the Clover authors will update Clover for the 490 motherboards/processors soon. But, it looks like all their efforts are now focused on OpenCore.

Hello Stork - I think it was your build that I followed in 2013! Glad to see you're here.

It got as far Yosemite for sure but I don't think it went to El Capitan.

I have iPhone/iPad in iOS. And 13" early 2015 Macbook Pro (Thunderbolt 2) for moving around the house and 12" early 2015 MacBook (USB-C) for out and about.

Being newly back to this I need to read up on what OpenCore is but it sounds too tricky for me.

I read with nervousness about flashing of TitanRidge TB cards, etc. I see people sell PCIe add-ons TBs on eBay.

I would be ecstatic if I could get to something that does plug and play TB displays, iMessage, AirDrop & Hand-off without throwing a coughing fit more than once in a blue moon.

@KaizenReborn, I share your concerns. Thunderbolt 3 to TB2 to TB1 is not easy, if possible, to do on a hackintosh. So, I would stick with your Z77 build if you want to use your TB1 Apple monitors. Make sure your apps are update to the latest version, and check your apps to see if they're supported in Mojave. Backup and install Mojave on a new SSD. Then, either reinstall your apps or use Migration Assistant to bring over your apps and User folders. (Don't check the Other files when using Migration Assistant.)

@KaizenReborn, I share your concerns. Thunderbolt 3 to TB2 to TB1 is not easy, if possible, to do on a hackintosh. So, I would stick with your Z77 build if you want to use your TB1 Apple monitors. Make sure your apps are update to the latest version, and check your apps to see if they're supported in Mojave. Backup and install Mojave on a new SSD. Then, either reinstall your apps or use Migration Assistant to bring over your apps and User folders. (Don't check the Other files when using Migration Assistant.)
I have seen people use TB3 to TB2 adapters on Mac Pro towers using Titan Ridge cards. I will say that I agree with Stork and it’s best to stick with TB1/2 ports. TB is very finicky on a Hackintosh. :(

@Stork Hey there. I read where you mentioned OpenCore in your latest post. Is that going to be the standard now? I am going to admit I like it more. :) :)
Looks like OpenCore will replace Clover like Clover replaced Chameleon (years ago). However, OpenCore is still in beta development and has no easy installation apps like the tonymax86 'Beasts. But, I'm in a hurry up and wait state for OpenCore to get out of beta development.

Looks like OpenCore will replace Clover like Clover replaced Chameleon (years ago). However, OpenCore is still in beta development and has no easy installation apps like the tonymax86 'Beasts. But, I'm in a hurry up and wait state for OpenCore to get out of beta development.
That’ll work and thank you.

I have seen people use TB3 to TB2 adapters on Mac Pro towers using Titan Ridge cards. I will say that I agree with Stork and it’s best to stick with TB1/2 ports. TB is very finicky on a Hackintosh. :(

Thank you. I am re-animating << Fractal Thunder >>. I will report back.

When you say TB3>2 on Mac Pro... is that in order to run TB Display or storage etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back