Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion & Mavericks

I recommend you post your inquiry in the Network forum section: http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/ I believe that there are some threads/posts on this subject there, but, IIRC, nobody has yet to be successful.

I personally don't use the Wifi/BT card that came with the motherboard. I have Thunderball connected to 2 monitors via a KVM switch. The main monitor has a USB hub which has my older BT USB dongle. I use the Roswell N900 WiFi PCIe card that Newegg has on sale periodically for $25 USD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009VKON0S/

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion & Mavericks

Do you know how I can update the kext for mavericks? It takes more than just updating the Info.plist and Version.plist unfortunately

I had posted my Mavericks installation information in my original post when Mavericks 10.9.0 was released. But, I'll summarize it here.

You'll need to create a UniBeast for Mavericks to install Mavericks for either a fresh installation or "over" an existing OS X installation using the tonymacx86's UniBeast 10.9 Guide. (See the Guides menu at the top of the page.) Use a full MutiBeast for Mavericks (current version is 6.0.1 at this post time/date) configuration:
DSDT Free Installation
Drivers & Bootloaders > Audio > RealTek ALC8XX > Without DSDT > ALC898
Drivers & Bootloaders > Miscellaneous > FakeSMC Plug-ins (Optional)
Drivers & Bootloaders > Network > Intel - hank's...​
That's it for a fresh install using HD4600 or an nVidia 600 or 700 series graphics card. It hasn't changed from my original post's MultiBeast Mountain Lion configuration screen snapshot. Here's my MultiBeast for Mavericks installation configuration screen snapshot and .mb file.

If you're updating 10.9.0 to 10.9.1, see my post here.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hey Stork!
I updated my 10.8.4 professional workspace to 10.9.1 using your MultiBeast config without a hitch!
i-3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 670
Worked perfectly. Ported all my final cut pro 10.0.9 projects, to 10.1 using Philip Hodgetts tried method.
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tut...projects-to-fcpx-10-1-libraries-the-smart-way
Big up Stork! Thanks again-

I had posted my Mavericks installation information in my original post when Mavericks 10.9.0 was released. But, I'll summarize it here.

You'll need to create a UniBeast for Mavericks to install Mavericks for either a fresh installation or "over" an existing OS X installation using the tonymacx86's UniBeast 10.9 Guide. (See the Guides menu at the top of the page.) Use a full MutiBeast for Mavericks (current version is 6.0.1 at this post time/date) configuration:
DSDT Free Installation
Drivers & Bootloaders > Audio > RealTek ALC8XX > Without DSDT > ALC898
Drivers & Bootloaders > Miscellaneous > FakeSMC Plug-ins (Optional)
Drivers & Bootloaders > Network > Intel - hank's...​
That's it for a fresh install using HD4600 or an nVidia 600 or 700 series graphics card. It hasn't changed from my original post's MultiBeast Mountain Lion configuration screen snapshot. Here's my MultiBeast for Mavericks installation configuration screen snapshot and .mb file.

If you're updating 10.9.0 to 10.9.1, see my post here.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hey Stork!
I updated my 10.8.4 professional workspace to 10.9.1 using your MultiBeast config without a hitch!
i-3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 670
Worked perfectly. Ported all my final cut pro 10.0.9 projects, to 10.1 using Philip Hodgetts tried method.
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tut...projects-to-fcpx-10-1-libraries-the-smart-way
Big up Stork! Thanks again-
Excellent! Another satisfied customer! :lol: Seriously, I'm glad you're making your hackintosh work for you. :thumbup:

My 10.8.4 system is running very slowly. My mouse movements are very laggy and the whole system seems sluggish.

This all started after I spent a day trying to get Windows (installed on another drive) to install on an MBR partition and play nice with Chimera. After playing around with boot related BIOS settings I've detached all my drives except the OS X SSD and now OS X is so very slow.

I've reset my BIOS settings to ones recommended in the first post here to no relief. Any ideas?

My 10.8.4 system is running very slowly. My mouse movements are very laggy and the whole system seems sluggish.

This all started after I spent a day trying to get Windows (installed on another drive) to install on an MBR partition and play nice with Chimera. After playing around with boot related BIOS settings I've detached all my drives except the OS X SSD and now OS X is so very slow.

I've reset my BIOS settings to ones recommended in the first post here to no relief. Any ideas?
No, sorry, I can't help you as I only use OS X. I recommend you check out the sticky post in the Multi Booting forum section, and, if it doesn't help, post your problem in that forum section.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/

Stork, first of all THANK YOU for the tremendous help you've provided the Hackintosh community!:clap: My machine is very similar to yours (nearly identical, except I am using the on-board Intel 4000 graphics) and I would have probably given up in frustration without the help this community has provided.

I am preparing to upgrade from ML to Mavericks and I have read your upgrade instructions. But before performing this upgrade, for my own knowledge I would like to understand why you selected the MacPro 3,1 system definition rather than something like iMac 13,2. The iMac 13,2 appears to have more similarities to this build in the following areas:
  • CPU architecture: Ivy Bridge versus Xenon Harpertown/Penryn
  • RAM architecture: DDR3 versus DDR2
  • USB 3.0 versus 2.0
  • Bluetooth 4.0 versus 2.0
  • Initial OSX launch (for compatibility reference): 10.8.2 versus 10.5.1

I assume that the MacPro 3,1 must have provided improved benchmarks or some other improvement in compatibility but I have not been able to locate specifically why this would be. Please help me (and I assume others) to understand the system definition selection.

Stork, first of all THANK YOU for the tremendous help you've provided the Hackintosh community!:clap: My machine is very similar to yours (nearly identical, except I am using the on-board Intel 4000 graphics) and I would have probably given up in frustration without the help this community has provided.

I am preparing to upgrade from ML to Mavericks and I have read your upgrade instructions. But before performing this upgrade, for my own knowledge I would like to understand why you selected the MacPro 3,1 system definition rather than something like iMac 13,2. The iMac 13,2 appears to have more similarities to this build in the following areas:
  • CPU architecture: Ivy Bridge versus Xenon Harpertown/Penryn
  • RAM architecture: DDR3 versus DDR2
  • USB 3.0 versus 2.0
  • Bluetooth 4.0 versus 2.0
  • Initial OSX launch (for compatibility reference): 10.8.2 versus 10.5.1

I assume that the MacPro 3,1 must have provided improved benchmarks or some other improvement in compatibility but I have not been able to locate specifically why this would be. Please help me (and I assume others) to understand the system definition selection.
MacPro3,1 is the default SysDef for DSDT Free Installation option because is provides the best SysDef for installation success. (We will probably change it once the new Mac Pro has a stable OS version in Mavericks.) MacPro3,1 "just works."

Now, that being said, somewhere in the 500 plus posts in this thread, I experimented with other SysDef's (MacMini6,1 for dual monitors) to test other forum members claims of increase capability (AirPlay, etc.), better power management or better bench marks. (if you're interested, they start around post #330.) I finally returned to the MacPro3,1 because of stability and the least among of upkeep. If you want more information, I recommend you read toldea's thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...tive-ivy-bridge-cpu-gpu-power-management.html

Believe it or not, I had actually read through this entire thread at one point (when I initially built my CustoMac and several times when updating the OS) and I thought I remembered a discussion about different SysDef... but I was unable to locate that discussion. So thank you for providing the post locations!

I have been using iMac 13,2 SysDef for a while because I had hoped to clear-up a few annoying issues (mainly a "Sleep" state that lasts only about 2 seconds... thought it was possibly tied to incorrect P-states) but that did not seem to solve the problem. It seems that you've found nothing missing and no lack of performance from using MacPro 3,1 so maybe I will switch back to that SysDef for a while in order to see if I find benefit. I've read much discussion regarding problems with sleep but, after reading thousands of posts (many with differing outcomes), I am still unclear regarding what is causing this problem. I will continue to search for this (sleep did work with my initial install of Lion) but, if you are able to easily point me to the correct post for solving sleep issues, I would be grateful. For now I've disabled sleep entirely because repeatedly hitting sleep / wake / sleep / wake cycles was taking a toll on my SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back