Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Earlier in the thread:

I have the Pegasus R4 RAID array. Since 10.8.5, it is a no go! Does not show up at all and I never had an issue with it in 10.8.4, hooks up to my MBP with no issues.

I use the same RAID array and due to that comment I'm still on 10.8.4. If I can't access my RAID my Hackintosh is a paper weight.

What sort of Thunderbolt devices have you used in 10.8.5/10.9?

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Hi Storks,

Do you plan to update your thread anytime soon? I guess that would please a lot of us folks. :D
If you don't, I guess I'll give it a try on my clone, because I've a sound issue since 10.8.5 on my internal speakers.

Hi Storks,

Do you plan to update your thread anytime soon? I guess that would please a lot of us folks. :D
If you don't, I guess I'll give it a try on my clone, because I've a sound issue since 10.8.5 on my internal speakers.
Yes, I will update soon. However, I'm traveling at the moment so Thunderball won't be upgraded until next week. I do plan to upgrade to Mavericks by installing Mavericks over my Mountain Lion system.

I have updated my Sandy Bridge Zorro system; this post will give you an idea of how to go about installing Mavericks on Mountain Lion if you want to do it before I get to it. :thumbup:

Nice. I'm already bored because I should also update to Windows 8.1. I tried but this won't run with Chimera, though my bugging Windows 8 works better than before.
It seems we don't need to remove our Nvidia GC anymore. If it's the case, I could give it a try, but each time I think it's so easy, I end up wasting my weekend on it, so I'd rather stay cautious, if not skilled. That's called "experience", I guess.

No rush. tonymacx86 and beelzebozo both have the UP5H-TH, and the Mavericks installation went smoothly.

The neat thing about MultiBeast 6 is that you can save your configuration and reload it for future updates. This is nice because you can get the latest updated kexts/drivers in a simple load, install two step update. :thumbup:

Yes, I will update soon. However, I'm traveling at the moment so Thunderball won't be upgraded until next week. I do plan to upgrade to Mavericks by installing Mavericks over my Mountain Lion system.

I have updated my Sandy Bridge Zorro system; this post will give you an idea of how to go about installing Mavericks on Mountain Lion if you want to do it before I get to it. :thumbup:

Hi Stork, I'm also looking forward to your Maverick install on our board.

I installed maverick and now I am having wake from sleep issues. It won't wake from a sleep now.
i deleted the dark wake =0 but it didn't make a difference.
wake from sleep worked fine in 10.8.3.
any suggestions?

I updated to Mavericks. Super painless. It all works great.
I do use a thunderbolt display, though, so your mileage may vary.

Sleep and wake-from sleep work 100% for me. I set up thunderbolt-wake-from-sleep devices (or whatever the bios setting is called to NO. This keeps my devices working after waking up.

The only issue with this build for me is that with thunderbolt display the start-from-cold is strange:
-I need to unplug the second monitor, and leave thunderbolt display connected.
-Start the machine, the thunderbolt display stays off for a long time. When it wakes up, I need to do ctrl+alt+delete to restart (warm start). Hopefully this happens before OS X starts booting, else need to wait for it to boot, then restart from the login screen. (should make the auto-boot timeout longer to fix this!)
-Once it reboots and is back to the login screen, I can reconnect the second monitor.

After these steps are followed, everything works 100%, and I barely ever reboot or shutdown, so no biggie for me.

Raf.

PS: I'm using the latest beta firmware (not sure this makes a difference). It's 12J.

I updated to Mavericks. Super painless. It all works great.
I do use a thunderbolt display, though, so your mileage may vary.

Sleep and wake-from sleep work 100% for me. I set up thunderbolt-wake-from-sleep devices (or whatever the bios setting is called to NO. This keeps my devices working after waking up.

The only issue with this build for me is that with thunderbolt display the start-from-cold is strange:
-I need to unplug the second monitor, and leave thunderbolt display connected.
-Start the machine, the thunderbolt display stays off for a long time. When it wakes up, I need to do ctrl+alt+delete to restart (warm start). Hopefully this happens before OS X starts booting, else need to wait for it to boot, then restart from the login screen. (should make the auto-boot timeout longer to fix this!)
-Once it reboots and is back to the login screen, I can reconnect the second monitor.

After these steps are followed, everything works 100%, and I barely ever reboot or shutdown, so no biggie for me.

Raf.

PS: I'm using the latest beta firmware (not sure this makes a difference). It's 12J.

Hi Rafosx,

Did you perform an install over OS X Mountain Lion?
If so which Multibeast options did you use?
I was wondering wether we need to install Ivy bridge support options.

I have a Thunderbolt only setup and sleep and wakeup work correctly.
After a cold start the Thunderbolt monitor can be awakened by hitting the keyboard during boot.

However I often tend to spontaneously lose Audio and FaceTime video without manual intervention, most time together with an improper disk eject error. Looks like the Bios/system trigger on something internal. After this I can only get audio/video back by a cold start. Could this be fixed by setting different Bios options (I am on Bios F11).

I'll update this build description for both a fresh Mavericks install and an install over an existing 10.8.5 build soon.

However, after following of all the issues of Mac users at http://www.macintouch.com/ I will probably not recommend Mavericks 10.9.0 until 10.9.3 is release to fix all the bugs, especially with the use of Firewire peripherals of which I have a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back