Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

hi all, this is my first post here.

first i'd like to thank everyone for the information i've already used from this site. you all rule. this is my second hackintosh, but my first in about 4-5 years (maybe longer).

i've got this motherboard with the 3750k and gtx670 and am having a problem with booting with storage devices connected. i have 2 SSDs connected to the SATA3 ports, and they work fine when connected (dual booting windows 7 and mountain lion.) i am trying to hook up my two SATA drives and also use my USB external as storage, but when i plug them in, the bootloader hangs before loading with a black screen and one of the following / - \ (a hung screen of them "spinning"). i can plug the usb external in after the os has booted and it works fine, but it will not boot with any of the devices connected.

i updated to F12e bios, and have the same settings as stork. as for multi beast, i used the same drivers that stork did here. then i tried mac pro 5,1 definitions with the necessary kexts removed. although it boots much faster, the sata and usb storage devices still cause it to fail.

tried to reinstall fresh twice, also. no dice.

i searched and couldn't find a thread that even mentions it, let alone a fix. anyone else out there with my problem?

also having a problem with the wake from sleep and my usb keyboard not working. i tried disabling the pll overvoltage in bios, and that did not do the trick.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Every second boot I get white or blue screen. GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | Asus GTX 670. Did a search and there were people having this issue with older Graphic cards. They had to install Nvidia drivers that of yourse dont exist for the GTX 600 series.

Any idea why every second boot goes wrong?

NOT SOLVED:
USB 3.0 error while coping
"Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled"

how to solve it? any suggestions plz

iLerin, a couple guys have fixed the USB power kernel warning message (which seems to become a popup box in 10.8.3) by adding "Apple power codes" to their DSDT files. But alas, they have not posted exactly the change that they made. Specifically, see these posts:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-ud5h-usb3-problem-under-ml-5.html#post474252
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-ud5h-usb3-problem-under-ml-5.html#post518424

If you figure this out, please post the DSDT fixes!

USB smart Auto / disabled is really a problem. In Win7 only smart auto works well. In mountain lion there is no drive discovered in the USB ports. Anyone having a solution for this?

interestingly the USB 3.0 ports if smart-auto will not take a fat32 formatted Stick. The stick works in 2.0 mode (disabled 3.0). Never heard about 3.0 not able to mount fat32 file system on OSX.

Stork, wondering how your thunderbolt was behaving?

I just picked up a Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt adapter as well as a Mac thunderbolt cable.

If I boot with a drive in the adapter, everything goes fine, with the exception that the machine assigns the thunderbolt drive as being 0,2 (which is usually my boot drive) and therefore screws up my boot screen.

However, if I try and plug the drive in while the machine is running, then everything completely freezes. (No KP, warning, just total freeze).

Works fine on my Macbook Pro, tho.

EDIT: Ahhh, crap on a cracker. I wish I'd read the outstanding guide from Alfa about this mobo before plopping $250 on a Thunderbolt adapter, cable, and drive. End of the installation guide, under extras, there it is...
Thunderbolt works but you must boot with the device plugged in. No hot-plugging.
I need swapping, since the whole point was to be able to shuffle data between my laptop and desktop, and the USB drive takes a @#$%@#$ age.

Here's hoping that the boffins at Tonymac are working on a solution!

Stork,

im still having troubles with getting my 650Ti running. would you mind giving me a step by step how you did it? the thread you linked only helped me in parts. here is what i understood:

1. Download the MBAir and MBPro 2.0 update
2. change smbios to 10,1
3. Install driver
4. reboot
5. change back to 5,1
6. shut down
7. put in 650 ti
8. connect dvi to graphics card instead of mainboard
9. boot

and that doesnt work for me. gives me a white screen after the apple loading screen.

i should say that im fairly new to this and only completed my first working build. i read something about "GraphicsEnabler=No". should i simply enter this command when booting or use multibeast to install this option? do i really need it? and i read that 10.8.3 might fix this problem without a workaround, would you recommend waiting for that update since im not very experienced? everything works fine with the hd4000 but im hoping to get a performance boost for video editing with the graphics card enabled.

thanks!

Stork,

im still having troubles with getting my 650Ti running. would you mind giving me a step by step how you did it? the thread you linked only helped me in parts. here is what i understood:

1. Download the MBAir and MBPro 2.0 update
2. change smbios to 10,1
3. Install driver
4. reboot
5. change back to 5,1
6. shut down
7. put in 650 ti
8. connect dvi to graphics card instead of mainboard
9. boot

and that doesnt work for me. gives me a white screen after the apple loading screen.

i should say that im fairly new to this and only completed my first working build. i read something about "GraphicsEnabler=No". should i simply enter this command when booting or use multibeast to install this option? do i really need it? and i read that 10.8.3 might fix this problem without a workaround, would you recommend waiting for that update since im not very experienced? everything works fine with the hd4000 but im hoping to get a performance boost for video editing with the graphics card enabled.

thanks!

Yes, use GraphicsEnabler=No with the 650Ti.

ubermick,

Hot swapping does not work with the Gigabyte implementation of Thunderbolt. IIRC, it's in the manual that came with the board. However, I don't the answer to your GoFlex (0,2) drive problem, yet. I don't have one, but I'm checking with the moderators on your problem.

pietzprove,
+1, Bimmer325Ci My apologies for forgetting to put that in the build description (Post #1); I've updated it.

ok perfect thanks.

one last question :)

when i enter "GraphicsEnabler=No" on boot does the computer save it for the next time or do i have to do it every time when i boot?

ok perfect thanks.

one last question :)

when i enter "GraphicsEnabler=No" on boot does the computer save it for the next time or do i have to do it every time when i boot?
No, it does not save it - unless you modify the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plst file as I described (now) in the original post and in Post #32. http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...th-gtx-650-ti-mountain-lion-4.html#post494577 Modifying the file will free you from having to do it at boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back