Contribute
Register

Updated manual for Chimera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
StingRay told me in the chat room that all the boot flags and their various arguments were documented in the manual for the boot loader. After some searching, I ran across the manual for Chameleon v2.0, rev 0.4. But this manual is quite incomplete, in terms of more advanced boot flag args. Certainly there are some, but not many. For instance, there's no documentation on things like PCIRoot vs PCIRootUID, or GraphicsEnabler, etc.

So I was hoping that there was a newer document that was perhaps more robust. I am strongly considering starting a page in the Wiki for this subject, as there is seems to be MUCH confusion as to when to use the specific flag and arguments. Obviously -v, -x and -s don't take much studying for Hackintosh noobs, but I think it would nice to have a place to refer people to...especially from the chat room. Teaching someone about using the command line interface is hard enough, but even more so when they have no idea about what a kernel flag is.

Can anyone help give me a vector on this? Is there any newer documentation out there. I'll attach the Chameleon manual I found in the source code documents, so you guys don't have to go off looking for it--but it really could use some updating. I'd certainly volunteer to put some time in on doing so, but am going to need to learn more about these things myself. The information available is sketchy, and often very speculative in terms of the function of the various flags.

Thanks!

TB

Attachments

• Users_Guide0.5.pdf
    328.2 KB · Views: 267
Thanks SR. I grabbed the latest edits, and am starting to compile some enhanced documentation on these flags/args, with some background on them. It will be an on-going effort to be sure, but it will be a good learning experience in that sense.

TB

Original manual (attachment) assembled from the information in StringRay's link, organized and roughly formatted. More kernel flags to follow, with a brief background and some usage explanations.

TB

Attachments

• 03142012_ChameleonManual.pdf
    120.9 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back