Contribute
Register

Updated Hardware ~ Kept previously working El Capitan SSD ~ Can't boot past Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD5
CPU
i7/7700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I updated my old hardware to a more modern set of components and now I cannot get past the Clover drive selection. After the Clover screen everything goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor and never gets any farther.

I went from a i7/920, Gigabyte EX58, GTS 250 Gpu, to a i7/7700k, Gigabyte GA Z270X UD5, GTX 970.

The system contains 5 drives. 1 SSD with El Capitan, 1 SSD with Windows 10, 1 SSD with Windows 7, 1 HD with an old MacOS and 1 storage drive. I have tried booting with various drives connected and unconnected with the same result. It's important to note that this system will boot into Windows 10 or Windows 7 when just those drives are connected.

Can anyone offer assistance? I'm assuming that there is an oversight on my part, maybe GPU related?

Thanks in advance!

Your new hardware is not an out of the box system yet it is possible to get it running. Your GPU is supported with the Nvidia Web Drivers. Take a look over at this thread for getting macOS Sierra installed using your early adopter hardware.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.211743/

Thanks for the help, wildwillow! I did eventually want to update to Sierra, but is it necessary for my components? I'll check the link provided and I may have other questions.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help, wildwillow! I did eventually want to update to Sierra, but is it necessary for my components? I'll check the link provided and I may have other questions.

Thanks again!
When it comes to hardware that is supported by Apple/Mac, us as users don't get much of a say what version we can run on our hardware and truly we want it to work when it is installed. Your newest hardware isn't going to be supported without some workarounds but this was entirely your choice, once Apple release their hardware then the software 'Swiftly':) follows . I usually buy the early adopters hardware every other year as I enjoy testing. Happy to help if I can.

Is there a way to install the Nvidia Web drivers with my current situation? I don't want to lose the install or data if possible.
You can use the GTX970 with nv_disable=1 until you install the web drivers but you need to install on your new hardware with the information from the link from post#2

You can use the GTX970 with nv_disable=1 until you install the web drivers but you need to install on your new hardware with the information from the link from post#2

I am starting to think that maybe updating to Sierra would solve everything? Can I do this and not lose any data? Is there a method listed on this site that details how to update a previously working El Capitan install to Sierra?

I appreciate the help!

I am starting to think that maybe updating to Sierra would solve everything?
Since your motherboard/chipset isn't supported by Apple just yet whether you are running El Capitan or Sierra the same steps using the methods in the linked post are still required.
Can I do this and not lose any data?
Get yourself a spare drive to test this hardware, this will keep your data safe and once you figure out what is required and stabilise your system you can either migrate your data over from your existing install or manually move your existing data so this acts as back up. Then update and run your existing installation drive.
Is there a method listed on this site that details how to update a previously working El Capitan install to Sierra?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/

Since your motherboard/chipset isn't supported by Apple just yet whether you are running El Capitan or Sierra the same steps using the methods in the linked post are still required.

Get yourself a spare drive to test this hardware, this will keep your data safe and once you figure out what is required and stabilise your system you can either migrate your data over from your existing install or manually move your existing data so this acts as back up. Then update and run your existing installation drive.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/direct-update-to-macos-sierra-using-clover.201465/

Thanks wildwillow!

I can use the older OSX install that is on the pc for testing. It's an older drive with an install that I used to use before I updated to SSD drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back