Contribute
Register

Updated 10.15.1 Update with Black Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the nudge in the direction i desperately needed.

Current plan is this
- create Catalina Installation USB
- load it with the new clover installer, updated kexts of the ones that were successful in my mojave installaion
- load from catalina USB, transfer things over
- repair permissions

i also read something abt making root partition read/write(post installation)
i guess its something i have to do as well right?

hmmm, not sure why but got an error while creating the catalina installer usb

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app --nointeraction

Password:

/Volumes/USB is not a valid volume mount point.

Shahlol:~ play$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app --nointeraction

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%...

Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=512 "“InstallESD.dmg” couldn’t be copied to “SharedSupport”." UserInfo={NSSourceFilePathErrorKey=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUserStringVariant=(

Copy

), NSDestinationFilePath=/Volumes/Install macOS Catalina/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSFilePath=/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbed8c37fb0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=34 "Result too large"}}The copy of the installer app failed.

hmmm, not sure why but got an error while creating the catalina installer usb
Have you tried formatting the USB over disk utility first ?

I have the same problem as you.
I updated clover, made a working USB of Catalina installation, formatted a new drive to APFS (since my old installation of Mojave was not in that format).
After the installation was over, my computer made a few restarts and after two restarts here I am on a black screen with an Apple logo and a empty loading bar.

my guess is that I actually transferred over my EFI files to the USB installation drive directly.

I also tried booting without any kexts but that did not work either.

but any ideas or tips are appreciated. I can simply move the cursor around, flash the screen if I hit some keys on the keyboard but that’s it. 53169E07-A464-4600-85EE-CE18592C2A9D.jpeg

you need more than 8GB USB drive to create Catalina Install media on USB drive

16GB would be the smallest
well at least you can put all the tools needed with room to spare.

Hello,

Were you able to fix this issue? I'm currently going through the same problem while trying to do a clean install of Catalina... I get a black screen while trying to boot into the installation screen. Have tried a couple of different EFIs I've found from people with similar specs to mine but none has worked so far...

Mojave/High Sierra installations went without a hitch :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back