Contribute
Register

Update Your OS X Mountain Lion App to 10.8.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Update Your OS X Mountain Lion App to 10.8.2

Whom are you asking????
I feel bad as well I left a pretty stable build.

I got it to install on the hard drive but now it won't boot after using unibeast on a USB drive. I typed -v and got this diagnosis.

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpg
    IMG_1500.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 414

Guys don't update to 10.8.2 yet. Please.

I have noticed since updating to 10.8.2 that I appear to have lost the serial number. It has been fine for a very long time but after update I see this?

Serial Number System Serial Number

Anybody any ideas or have the same issue.....?

The only downside is you have to reinstall every software again. But for a rock solid 10.8.2, i think it's worth it. :)

Quick tip.

Clone your application folder (better if you clone the entire boot drive) and upon reinstallation just copy the applications back. Most will work out of the box. The remaining you can fix searching the missing files by app name using "find all files" software and put them back in the correct place, or just reinstall.
So far this time demanding task is required for: Microsoft Office 2011, Virtualbox, Sophos antivirus. Everything else I have just need to be copied back to the application folder.

The only downside is you have to reinstall every software again. But for a rock solid 10.8.2, i think it's worth it.

If you have a second hard drive and clone your old installation onto that before you do a clean install (a good idea anyway !), then after installing the clean new system, you can attach the cloned old disk as a secondary or external HD and run the "Migration Assistant" in the Utilities to import the old user account and applications. (This works better than just cloning the application folder, because it also imports the necessary subdirectories in /Library/Application Support and the LaunchDaemons etc.).

If you also paste the old serial number from /extra/smbios.plist into the new smbios.plist, then sw that needs activation like Adobe CS6 usually doesn't complain.

I've found the clean install results in a more stable system anyway than trying to upgrade in-place.

Problems after Update to 10.8.2

Hi everybody, complete Newbie here. Just built my first hackintosh based on the great advice from customac (Ivy Bridge budget build) - works a treat with the GA-H77-DS3H board, i5 3570K, 16GB RAM, Samsung 830 120GB SSD, HD4000 graphics. I updated straight to 10.8.2 from a CD, applied Multibeast with the sound settings etc., but after restarting I need to use the -x switch to get the graphics working at all. Also no Audio yet. Sorry if this is information to be found elsewhere but what do i have to do to sort out the graphics? I have a 22" Eizo TFT with 1680 x 1080 which works great with the -x but not at all without. Any pointers/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Update: reinstalled after having updated BIOS to f7 (was f5). Set Video RAM to 64M (no more - seems to produce problems!) xHCI & EHCI hand off both enabled, High precision timer enabled, Boot drive set to PO (not UEFI). Used Unibeast ML 1.5.3 and Multibeast ML 5.0.2, with only Audio AC887 and Identity iMac 12,2 selected. Works fine! Next I will try update to 10.8.2 to see if that works, might take a few days as my monitor has died. Keep you posted...

Update 29.9.2012: After a week of a perfectly stable system running 10.8.1 I decided to have another go at the 10.8.2 upgrade.
Now all I get is half a screen with rapidly vibrating login icons. Booting in safe mode the graphics work fine. I have removed the OEMsmbios.kext as suggested in other posts but to no avail. I have used multibeast to reinstall the audio driver and give the identity as iMac 12.2 but still doesn't work. In my bios (f7) the Intel VD is disabled.
Anybody got any clues? This is so frustrating and a tremendous waste of time to boot (sorry, bad pun)...:problem:

Update 29.09.12 p.m. Strange effect: after having reinstalled the FakeMSC ... oemSMBIOS I was getting problems with the graphics: login screen only half there and vibrating madly. I find that if I switch off the computer and on again within a few secs it will show graphics cleanly, but in about 800 x 640 res. If I then go thru System Prefs / Display and set the res to 800x640 , dsave, and then set it to 1280x1024 it works fine, until the next reboot. How can I get round this problem? Also the audio doesn't work despite the ACL887 being recognised and the line output devices recognised in the sound prefs. This all reminds me so much of the early days with Linux, but that was twelve years ago.

Yes, it should also work for Lion if you can manage to re-download it from your Purchased list.

I've removed my old Lion App store installer from the Applications folder, ran App Store with pressing the Option when checking my "purchases" and Lion shows as an option to download again but every time I try it shows error 13.. I tested two accounts and also from another 10.7 and 10.8 machine. All fail to download Lion again from my App store. However I successfully redownloaded the new 10.8.2 ML App Store as discussed in this forum.

Update from 10.8.2 literally killed my hackintosh. Can't boot unless using safe mode command. Did a quick fix by removing the OemSmbios.kext located /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ work awhile but my hackintosh is not as stable as before. Downloaded 10.8.2 from app store and made new OS X Mountain Lion USB Install Disk using Unibeast.

Installation went smooth, (i did not use any commands at all). Installed latest chameleon, multibeast (FakeSMC, FakeSMC Plugins ->Motherboard Plugins)and other necessary stuff for my system. Rebooted, and voila! It can't boot.

Reinstalled OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Unibeast, it also went smoothly (again without any commands). Installed saltest chameleon the again run multibeast but this time (FakeSMC/FakeSMC Plugins->Motherboard Plugins!!!!!!UNCHECKED!!!!!) and other necessary stuff for my system . Rebooted voila! Successful! Everything worked smoothly. No patches performed other than Chameleon & Multibeast. Graphics worked OOB, Dual Display worked OOB. Ran prime 95 for 11 hours, no crash or screen freeze. No

The only downside is you have to reinstall every software again. But for a rock solid 10.8.2, i think it's worth it. :)

Hope this can help to others with the same build.
Have you used dsdt for you motherboard?
Have you installed new nvdia driver?
Have you checked in Multibeast OpenCL Patch and OpenCL Enabler?
OpenCL works?

Thankssssss :p

If you have a second hard drive and clone your old installation onto that before you do a clean install (a good idea anyway !), then after installing the clean new system, you can attach the cloned old disk as a secondary or external HD and run the "Migration Assistant" in the Utilities to import the old user account and applications. (This works better than just cloning the application folder, because it also imports the necessary subdirectories in /Library/Application Support and the LaunchDaemons etc.).

If you also paste the old serial number from /extra/smbios.plist into the new smbios.plist, then sw that needs activation like Adobe CS6 usually doesn't complain.

I've found the clean install results in a more stable system anyway than trying to upgrade in-place.
How I can clone my old installation?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back