HP Elitebook 450 G3
CPU
i5-6300U
Graphics
HD 520
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Hi,

I have been very stupid :oops:. Two years ago I prepared a HP elitebook with macos Catalina for my father. It took a lot of fiddling around but in the end everything worked great!

When this laptop reached me again I saw that the update for Monterey was ready. I thought that all the security updates would move along with the OS updates so it would be a great idea to upgrade. The most important stuff was already backed up. Online I read that it "should be fine" to execute the upgrade.

After executing the upgrade I got a black screen with a black cursor and it was stuck for a while. When I turned the laptop off and back on I came back to the login screen of Catalina. After entering the password the screen kept freezing on the login screen. I could not get it in safe mode with the shift key. To try another way to login I clicked the forgot password button. Now it turns on in an infinite bootloop.

I have to find out how I installed it back then (I thought I used Clover but not sure). Can someone give me any advice how to approach it now to get it back working again. Preferably with the files still in tact as it was. The files I will be missing are not that important but would be nice to have them.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Hi,

I have been very stupid :oops:. Two years ago I prepared a HP elitebook with macos Catalina for my father. It took a lot of fiddling around but in the end everything worked great!

When this laptop reached me again I saw that the update for Monterey was ready. I thought that all the security updates would move along with the OS updates so it would be a great idea to upgrade. The most important stuff was already backed up. Online I read that it "should be fine" to execute the upgrade.

After executing the upgrade I got a black screen with a black cursor and it was stuck for a while. When I turned the laptop off and back on I came back to the login screen of Catalina. After entering the password the screen kept freezing on the login screen. I could not get it in safe mode with the shift key. To try another way to login I clicked the forgot password button. Now it turns on in an infinite bootloop.

I have to find out how I installed it back then (I thought I used Clover but not sure). Can someone give me any advice how to approach it now to get it back working again. Preferably with the files still in tact as it was. The files I will be missing are not that important but would be nice to have them.

Thanks a lot for any advice!
upgrading would require updating your bootloader and kexts

use your original usb installer to boot into recovery and try a re install, or do a clean install

Back