Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/AC
CPU
i3-4170
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm presently running MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) on an i3-4170 installed in a ASRock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard. I have no external graphics card and instead simply use the Intel HD4400 graphics.

I've never updated the original Sierra installation on the basis of "don't break what's already working" however for a variety of reasons the time is approaching when I think I'll need to update to a later version of Mac OS. Can I simply follow the steps in the the "Update Directly to MacOS Mojave" post (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-mojave.260654/) or do I first need to upgrade to High Sierra? Are there any "gotcha's" that I ought to look out for when attempting this upgrade? For example can anyone confirm whether the Intel HD4400 graphics are compatin

I recommend the following steps:

- Backup your current build;​
- Create a Mojave UniBeast USB Installer;​
- Install Mojave over your Sierra;​
- Run Mojave version of MultiBeast for your system. and​
- Update the Luli, WhateverGreen and AppleALC kexts.​

The above procedures are the shorten version, but you should get the idea.

So basically you are suggesting that rather than updating from the existing Sierra install that I should start from scratch and follow the steps in this post (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.259381/).

One thought I had was to buy a cheap SSD and use my disk docking station to create a new Mojave boot drive. Once I confirmed that I could boot Mojave from it I could then swap the existing SSD (Sierra) boot drive for the new one. Would this be a feasible way to proceed? If so, what specific steps are necessary to created a bootable system drive on a non-boot disk. Would I need to use something like SuperDuper to first clone the existing Sierra drive so that there is a UEFI partition available?

I recommend the following steps:

- Backup your current build;​
- Create a Mojave UniBeast USB Installer;​
- Install Mojave over your Sierra;​
- Run Mojave version of MultiBeast for your system. and​
- Update the Luli, WhateverGreen and AppleALC kexts.​

The above procedures are the shorten version, but you should get the idea.

Stork

Appreciate your response to my original query. As a clarification, does step 3 above "Install Mojave over your Sierra" simply replace the system files, leaving all of my existing user configurations, applications, etc. in place or does it delete all of those and require them to be restored from the backup made in step 1.

Really appreciate your help.

Stork

Appreciate your response to my original query. As a clarification, does step 3 above "Install Mojave over your Sierra" simply replace the system files, leaving all of my existing user configurations, applications, etc. in place or does it delete all of those and require them to be restored from the backup made in step 1.

Really appreciate your help.
Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back