Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/AC
CPU
i3-4170
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I have a machine based around an ASRock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard that currently runs Sierra. I'd like to upgrade to Catalina but I'm vert wary of breaking the machine in attempting to through the update process.

Is it feasible to configure a new (Catalina) boot drive on my existing machine using Unibeast and Multibeast. I have an external drive caddy that I could use to create the new bootable drive and once I'm sure that I can boot from it I would plan on swapping out the existing Sierra drive for the new Catalina one. Is this a feasible way to go about upgrading my machine.

I have a machine based around an ASRock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard that currently runs Sierra. I'd like to upgrade to Catalina but I'm vert wary of breaking the machine in attempting to through the update process.

Is it feasible to configure a new (Catalina) boot drive on my existing machine using Unibeast and Multibeast. I have an external drive caddy that I could use to create the new bootable drive and once I'm sure that I can boot from it I would plan on swapping out the existing Sierra drive for the new Catalina one. Is this a feasible way to go about upgrading my machine.

Yes, I think so. If you are worried about the Catalina installation messing with your Sierra drive, then disable or disconnect the Sierra drive before starting the Catalina Install.

If your Sierra drive is a SATA drive you should be able to disable the corresponding SATA port in the BIOS without disconnecting it. I know my Gigabyte motherboards (Intel) can all do this.

Yes, I think so. If you are worried about the Catalina installation messing with your Sierra drive, then disable or disconnect the Sierra drive before starting the Catalina Install.

If your Sierra drive is a SATA drive you should be able to disable the corresponding SATA port in the BIOS without disconnecting it. I know my Gigabyte motherboards (Intel) can all do this.

So, finally I'm getting ready to embark on this adventure. I have a question however regarding the ability to read / access the various drives that comprise my media server. In order to have access to these will I need to use Migration Assistant to copy settings from my existing boot drive? Or will the files on these drives be available to a new user that I create on the fresh Catalina installation. Do I need to do anything with file permissions on the other drives before booting with the fresh Catalina install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back