Contribute
Register

Update or clean install failed on X79 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried your SSDT and kext, but I'm still unable to install El Capitan.
I'm on a fresh Yosemite install and I try to update to El Capitan or to install it from scratch (usb stick created with unibeast), but I'm stuck on IOUSBFamily blah blah blah and can not start the installation process !
I've put your SSDT and dummy kext (with fakesmc) on my usb stick, I've tried with npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 -v, disabled and disconnected all my USB3 devices, but no way :(
Is there any way to install El Capitan on this ****ing Asus X79 Deluxe MB ?

It won't work for installer sorry. I had to install EL Capitan from another PC then connected the drive back to the X79-Deluxe, and put the Kext in /Library/Extensions.

You would have to mount the DMG and place that file in /Library/Extensions and do all the permissions fix etc and that is beyond my scope. There are guides showing you how to modify the installer.

There is something going on with newer Asus X79 boards because I got lucky and found a Sabertooth X79 and it works OOB. Same with R4E or R4E black edition. The Asus X79 boards made in 2013 has some revision to the USB/Bios causing this issue.

Disabling ASMedia does not help for me. HangTen from another forum is able to install and run El Capitan on his X79-Deluxe and how he can do this I have no idea. I tried his bios version one lower from mine 0801 and even tried 0701. I tried them all 0901,0902 none help get past the panic. I am totally lost how you and I get the panic and he does not?

I spent a week debugging even bought some of the same hardware he has, such as a PCIe USB 3 card. Tried a different CPU and memory and different memory configurations. Setup my Bios exactly as his. I cannot figure out what it is.

You're right, this MB is really strange.
I've finally managed to install el Capitan after trying different boot arguments.
But the argument line that worked at one time, doesn't work at all few seconds later !
I'm pretty sure that if I try to install with only npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 it will fail may be for 20 times, and at the next try it will work without changing anything !
So now I can boot El Capitan thanks to your dummy kext, but as soon I'm logged in, I have a message saying my computer was restarted because of a problem, and in the panic file I can see
Code:
      Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
         com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily(1.0.1)[CB073B0F-F3E0-37BD-8091-390367BEDAB0]@0xffffff7f91379000->0xffffff7f913e0fff
            dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHostMergeProperties(1.0.1)[CC38EEB7-2441-3374-8F94-F7C114EE2B28]@0xffffff7f91375000
         com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI(1.0.1)[02170961-0723-3384-8893-456A338851FB]@0xffffff7f915a3000->0xffffff7f915c2fff
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.4)[CBAE26D8-0ACB-3C1F-8347-FDCA67EC40B3]@0xffffff7f91555000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.9)[8E5F549E-0055-3C0E-93F8-E872A048E31B]@0xffffff7f90f2d000
            dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily(1.0.1)[CB073B0F-F3E0-37BD-8091-390367BEDAB0]@0xffffff7f91379000
            dependency: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI(1.0.1)[7C0EEF73-8BEE-336A-8F42-528844ABBA62]@0xffffff7f9155e000

And just to let you know, when trying different argument boot lines, I've even had funny messages !

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 265
I also see the same error message pop up now and then.

What you have to do its delete that part from nvram.

Print your nvram in terminal with this command:

nvram -p

Then look for that AAPL, something, then delete that with:

sudo nvram -d aapl,......

The Spam messages should not be there if the panic kext is in place. I forgot to mention that you can also try to get past the panic after 5 to 20 reboots but on average for me it was 10 to 15 I was able to boot past the panic, then installed EL Capitan, so I did install El Capitan this way but just once then formated the drive and installed it off another PC. You will only see those repeated spam messages when you can boot past the kernel panic but if you use my kext those messages go away.

Our board is not a good one past Yosemite for now.

Thanks for the nvram tips, but each time I start my computer, I have the same message (I use your kext disabler).

I've seen this post : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/
Do you think it could be useful for our MB ?
Because, with your kext, my BT which used to work OOB on Yosemite doesn't work anymore.

With my Kext the built in Wifi and BT will work. You need Rehabmans BTInjector.

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-BrcmPatchRAM

Scroll down for the link to the downloads. You need the BCMPatchRam.

You should not be getting any spam what so ever with my kext. Did you place it in /Library/Extensions? Did you repair permissions? Use the newer El Capitian edition Speedy Kext found on another forum, I cannot mention the names of other forums per rules of this forum.

Did you setup clover RTvariables section correctly. 0x28 and 0x67 the for install then change 0x67 back to 0x3.

And and btw from that link is where I got the original kext and stripped it down to only have the bundle version mismatch is how that kext works. You can see on page 13 though 17 don't remember I have a post there with Pics, have a read.

@ammulder: I've already tried to disable USB, but it doesn't change anything.
@osxfr33k: Your kext disabler is in /L/E, my RTvariables are what you indicated, and for the BT, I've put BrcmPatchRAM2 and BrcmFirmwareData kexts in /EFI/clovers/kexts/10.11, but it doesn't work... and by the way I always have a panic message warning when starting my computer.
My BT (BCM4360 on an PCIE adapter) is plugged on an internal USB connector and it looks like all my internal USB2 connectors are disabled. On Yosemite, BT is working OOB.

@ammulder: I've already tried to disable USB, but it doesn't change anything.
@osxfr33k: Your kext disabler is in /L/E, my RTvariables are what you indicated, and for the BT, I've put BrcmPatchRAM2 and BrcmFirmwareData kexts in /EFI/clovers/kexts/10.11, but it doesn't work... and by the way I always have a panic message warning when starting my computer.
My BT (BCM4360 on an PCIE adapter) is plugged on an internal USB connector and it looks like all my internal USB2 connectors are disabled. On Yosemite, BT is working OOB.

Try the BrcmBluetoothInjector kext and not the PatchRam one. Well if your USB is disabled that would be why your BT is not working. Check you Bios settings make sure Bluetooth and Wifi are enabled both.

Why do you have a Wifi PCIe card? Your built in one is the best one for OS X.

I cannot figure out why your USB2 is disabled? That Panic message kept coming up for me when I booted to Desktop and I had to remove it from Nvram a few times before it stopped.

I think you may want to use MacPro6,2 SMBIOS. But be careful you will need to make an edit or run the AGDC fix by SHilohh, I linked a few post up, otherwise if you don't you get a black screen using MacPro6,2 without that fix. Maybe that is why all my USB2 are working?

You will also need Stinga11 X79 kext to get proper CPU PM working. For now I have removed that MB and have an Sabertooth X79 running perfectly fine no issues with panics and no need to run that panic disabler kext.

I don't think I can be much of any more help since I no longer am running that board until they either come up with a USB3 driver or someone just happens to figure out a good fix for the X79 Deluxe.

Thanks a lot for your help osxfr33k !
I have a PCIe car with 'official BT' adapter on it. I've bought it before my X79 MB, and this adapter used to work out of the box ;)
I will try on the kext you indicate and new smbios 6.2 in a few, I'm currently using 6.1.
For the right moment, I've installed Yosemite from scratch.... and this MB will get me crazy. Everything is working fine except this ***ing panic message which is still present !

Thanks a lot for your help osxfr33k !
I have a PCIe car with 'official BT' adapter on it. I've bought it before my X79 MB, and this adapter used to work out of the box ;)
I will try on the kext you indicate and new smbios 6.2 in a few, I'm currently using 6.1.
For the right moment, I've installed Yosemite from scratch.... and this MB will get me crazy. Everything is working fine except this ***ing panic message which is still present !

Sorry leave it MacPro6,1 my mistake. I am starting to believe each X79-Deluxe board has unique issues with EL capitan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back