Contribute
Register

Update my (too) old PearC Professional from OSX 10.6.8 to El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I have carefully read few messages and I hope to find here answers to my questions... Let's start : I have a PearC professional machine with Intel i7 - 920 CPU / Gigabyte Motherboard / NVidia GTS250 Video card). This is a very nice machine, but I have limitations that I would like to solve :

- I have 2 Hard Disks, but no SSD (1 for OSX, 1 for W10)
- I am limited to OSM 10.6.8, as there is no longer support from the manufacturer...

Hence my idea was : could I buy a new SSD on which I can install a fresh OSX (ideally 10.11.1)? If yes, could you please tell me which SSD? Then of course, how to install this SSD to get it working with El Capitan? :?:

Just for info, I was reading your last comments on the new Intel 6700K and Z170 motherboard... This looks like very promissing for the future ;-)!

We primarily recommend Samsung 850 SSDs. Crucial is also a good brand to use. BX100 is the best
choice for a budget SSD.

Follow the Installation guide and choose the Legacy Boot Mode option at step 15.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Disconnect your other two HDDs before doing the install to SSD. Once you've got El Cap clean
installed to the SSD then move over your data from the Snow Leopard drive. Once that is done
reformat it to HFS + to use for OS X storage. Win 10 is installed legacy because of the age of
your hardware so dual booting should be very easy. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

We primarily recommend Samsung 850 SSDs.

First of all, thanks a lot for your quick response! As I am very ignorant about SSDs, could you please tell me what is the difference between :

Samsung 850 EVO
Samsung 850 PRO
Samsung M2

I saw these on web sites and wonder which one I should choose...

First of all, thanks a lot for your quick response! As I am very ignorant about SSDs, could you please tell me what is the difference between :

Samsung 850 EVO
Samsung 850 PRO
Samsung M2

I saw these on web sites and wonder which one I should choose...

The 850 EVO is for general use. 850 PRO is more durable and will last longer and withstand
many more writes to the drive before it wears out. Professional video and photo editing is
best served by the Pro model.

M.2 is not an option with your older hardware. EVO is probably the best choice. Less expensive
but still very fast, just won't last as long till it's obsolete.

The 850 EVO is for general use. 850 PRO is more durable and will last longer and withstand many more writes to the drive before it wears out. Professional video and photo editing is
best served by the Pro model.

Thanks a lot for this clarification! Indeed the 850EVO is 50% cheaper than the PRO version... Hence I guess I will go for a 250Gb 850EVO SSD :).

I have another question now : how could I install it in my computer? I have a Lian Li PC-9 tower, and the HD connectors are set on the right side (I cannot put the 2.5" SSD in the middle of the bay)... Do you know a converter that will be working for me :?:

Extra info to my previous message : I have found this Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDBRKT2535

Will this be what I am looking for (meaning the SSD connectors will be at the same place than a 3.5" disk connectors)???

1 extra question : I have seen a Crucial MX200 SSD (250Gb) for a (rather) cheap price... Will this SSD be compatible with the installation of OSX El Capitan? I have not seen any Crucial SSD disk on the
Buyer's Guide section... :crazy:

Hello,

could someone confirm that the Crucial MX200 serie is OK to have in a Hackintosh???

Thanks!

Yes, the MX200 is a good choice. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back