Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> update from high sierra to monterey or new installation directly from monterey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z370A PRO
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
WX7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm on high sierra with an old Nvidia GT1030 but I have to buy an AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 8gb. I want to move to Monterey. Is it better to install my new graphics card and change the settings so that it works under high sierra and then try an update to Monterey so it's possible? Or do you think I should install the new graphics card and do a clean install of Monterey?

I'm on high sierra with an old Nvidia GT1030 but I have to buy an AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 8gb. I want to move to Monterey. Is it better to install my new graphics card and change the settings so that it works under high sierra and then try an update to Monterey so it's possible? Or do you think I should install the new graphics card and do a clean install of Monterey?
I suppose you are probably using Clover to boot High Sierra?

Monterey will require a switch to the OpenCore bootloader and it is completely different from Clover. So if this is the case then I suggest you take out or disable the High Sierra disk, then install a blank new disk and do a clean install of Monterey. Keep your old High Sierra install handy in case it is still needed.

Monterey will require a switch to the OpenCore bootloader and it is completely different from Clover. So if this is the case then I suggest you take out or disable the High Sierra disk, then install a blank new disk and do a clean install of Monterey. Keep your old High Sierra install handy in case it is still needed.
Yes i'm using clover to boot HS... yes that's what I thought, I'll do a new clean install and I'll be quiet... (well, I hope?!)

for the installation I see that there are 2 options, which is the most reliable and/or the simplest because I'm pretty bad...

for the installation I see that there are 2 options, which is the most reliable and/or the simplest because I'm pretty bad...
Not sure what you are talking about. A screenshot will be helpful.

Anyway, I am not familiar with OpenCore as I do not run Big Sur or Monterey at this time. Someone else more familiar with it may be able to help.

hello, I'm trying to boot my machine on the key I created as explained with Clover but it doesn't want to boot on the USB key. Nothing is happening... someone to help me? thank you.

hello, I'm trying to boot my machine on the key I created as explained with Clover but it doesn't want to boot on the USB key. Nothing is happening... someone to help me? thank you.
What version of Clover are you using?

With Monterey a switch to the OpenCore bootloader is generally recommended.

now i try with opencore ti create the USB boot.
what are the necessary kexts, SSDTs for my config? thank you

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-10-25 à 12.03.02.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-10-25 à 12.03.02.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
here is my config: MSI Z370A Pro; intel Core I7 8700K; AMD Radeon Pro WX7100 8Go; chipset: Intel Z370 Chipset; LAN: Realtek 8111H Gigabit LAN;
what are the files i need to add in opencore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back