Contribute
Register

Update from High Sierra to Catalina > Lost WiFi & Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87 > Need full model # > See Rules!
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
GTX 760
The update from High Sierra to Catalina was perfectly fine. But the problem is that I don't have Wifi and Sound anymore.
I tried to install the driver with the old Multibeast from HighSierra (ALC892 and AppleIntelE1000e.kext) but it doesn't work. I got an error Message from Multibeast (failed to install check log etc.).
The new Multibeast from Mojave doesn't have the drivers ALC892 and AppleIntel1000e.kext.

My System:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k
Mainboard: GA-Z87-HD3 ALC892,RTL8111F
Wifi: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900

You need to install the latest kexts of AppleALC, Lilu and whateverGreen in L/E and rebuild the kext cache.
Then you need to inject an audio layout for your ALC892 in config.plist, I think the layout for your motherboard is 92.

As for the wifi, I am not familiar with that chip, I can not tell if either the support was removed or it needs an updated kext

@GUNNER7070 thank you very much, I appreciate it. But I'm a newbie and don't have an idea how to do that.
How do I rebuild the kext cache?
How can I inject an audio layout?
Where can I find updated kexts for wifi, any idea?

Last edited:
@GUNNER7070 thank you very much, I appreciate it. But I'm a newbie and don't have an idea how to do that.
Where can I find the latest kexts of AppleALC, Lilu and whateverGreen in L/E?
How do I rebuild the kext cache?

You are welcome, I am not an expert either, just a normal user.

The easiest way is to use Clover Configurator app (attached) to modify your Config.plist.
The kext will be attached for you to install.
As for the install, a link for a guide that has everything you need to know about installing kexts in the link below:

When it comes in injecting a layout for the audio, go to DEVICES in Clover configurator, all what you have to do is open your config.plist using that app.

Taking things one step at a time and all the issues will be resolved.

Attachments

• Kext.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
  • Clover Configurator.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 123
Thank you again, I will try it. :thumbup:

Thank you again, I will try it. :thumbup:
You are welcome.
I have a similar setup to yours, and as soon as I completed the upgrade from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15 the Audio stopped working, all I did was download the latest kext of AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen and the sound was working again.

Rehabman's guides are really great, you will never run into any issues if you followed them precisely.

Hi, I just did the Catalina upgrade on my old but still working great 2013 build using the same MB and TP Card. I installed the new ALC and LiLU with Kext Utility. that got the Audio working
For the Wifi I manually added this old IO80211Family.kext to the same Library/Extensions folder (Not the System/Library/Extensions). ran kext edit to auto repair permissions and reboot. working again.
hope that helps

Attachments

• IO80211Family.kext.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 173
Thank you guys, everything is working now. :thumbup:

I used these kexts from you guys: AppleALC.kext, AppleIntel1000e.kext (not sure if necessary), I090211Family.kext, Lilu.kext, Realtek8111.kext (not sure if necessary), WhateverGreen.kext.

For the installation I used the app KextBeast.
1. You have to place all kexts on desktop and after that start KextBeast.
2. Then you have to choose Library (two options, I did choose both).
3. After a new start: voila Sound and Wifi is working again.

Is it necessary to install a kext for my graphic card: Nvidia GTX 760?
Which System Definition is the right, Mac Pro or iMac?

I got graphic problems respectively artifacts, but after a new start there are no problems anymore.

Last edited:
awesome! glad its all working. I gave up on my Nvidia after installing Mojave and switched to a radeon RX 580 which works amazing. profile wise I use Mac Pro 6.1

The update from High Sierra to Catalina was perfectly fine.

What method did you use to update from High Sierra to Catalina? I'm going to attempt the process on my rig too...

My setup:
GA-Z97X-UD5H
i7-4790K
GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back