Contribute
Register

[UPDATE 4/13] Core i5 Notebook Results (and a few questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
yoga 2 pro
CPU
yoga 2 pro
Graphics
intell hd4400
First, I'd like to thank Tonymacx86 for creating this blog and the associated guides. It made the process a lot easier to understand.

My specs are in my signature.

Install Method:

-I followed the guide on Tony's blog to make a single layer Snow Leopard Install Disc.
-I used the tonymacx86-snowleopard boot disc (The older one...the new one kept crashing before it got into the OS X install GUI.) and then booted the install. I needed to use the flags busratio=17 -v -x -f to avoid rebooting and crashes loading the install disc. (I also needed to use an external keyboard and mouse).
-I partitioned and formatted the Hard drive according to the Dual Boot OS X / Windows 7 Guide on the blog.
-Installed Windows 7
-Used the tonymacx86-snowleopard boot disc to boot the OS X Installer and basically followed your original guide. (again using the same flags busratio=17 -v -x -f)
-After installing, I used the Multibeast with Easybeast. For whatever reason it would NOT install chameleon. I had to install Chameleon using the original guide.
-I then made the Snow Leopard partition active as explained in your dual boot guide.
-Now I was able to see the bootloader and boot into OS X without the tonymacx86-snowleopard boot disc.
-I downloaded and installed the 10.6.2 combo update and ran Easybeast again (choosing the unsupported com.apple.boot.plist).
-At this point I had almost everything working except the touchpad, wired networking, and graphics.
-I have since fixed the touchpad by using the ApplePS2Controller.kext (the VoodooPS2 included in Multibeast did not work)

Questions/Problems:
-The wired networking still does not work, but that's not a MAJOR priority right now.
-What IS a MAJOR priority is enabling 1366 x 768 resolution (I'm stuck at 1024 x 768) and my System profiler is telling me that I have 64mb of shared video memory. Obviously that's incorrect. As you can see from my specs in my signature, I have 128 DEDICATED (and up to 2GB total shared) of video memory. I understand that this processor is not yet supported by Mac but was wondering if anyone had any advice.

-I know the new Macbook Pros are coming out and they will have the i5 mobile cpus in them. I realize that you don't have a crystal ball, but that would indicate to me that my processor would/should soon be supported.

-Obviously I have no QE/CI right now. My goal is to run Final Cut Studio on this machine and obviously I need the 128mb VRAM recognized, as well as QE/CI support.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions/advice? Thank you in advance.

Re: Core i5 Notebook Results (and a few questions)

Sorry, but as far as we are aware, Intel graphics will never be supported by Apple.

You don't have dedicated graphics memory either, it's using system memory. The graphics is integrated in the CPU and there's no way you could fit that much memory in there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your notebook will most likely never work properly with OS X :thumbdown:

There is a slight chance that Apple might use these CPU's in the upcoming Macbook refresh and and even slighter chance that they'll make use of the Intel graphics, but please don't get your hopes up. It's more likely that Apple will go for the models without integrated graphics.

Intel integrated graphics were already supported on mac minis, Macbooks, and imacs in the past. SOURCE

I'm not saying its EASY to modify drivers/kexts to make this work on 10.6.x but it certainly should be possible. The hackintosh community is a smart group.

I'm aware that it is using system memory...I typed that wrong however. It is indeed dedicated system memory though...in windows always showing that there is less than 4GB ram available because of the shared being set aside for VRAM.

thelostswede said:
Sorry, but as far as we are aware, Intel graphics will never be supported by Apple.

You don't have dedicated graphics memory either, it's using system memory. The graphics is integrated in the CPU and there's no way you could fit that much memory in there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your notebook will most likely never work properly with OS X :thumbdown:

There is a slight chance that Apple might use these CPU's in the upcoming Macbook refresh and and even slighter chance that they'll make use of the Intel graphics, but please don't get your hopes up. It's more likely that Apple will go for the models without integrated graphics.

Well, Macs haven't officially supported Intel GMA since the 950 right? One can hope that the new MacBooks have the integrated graphics and support, but it's a crapshoot- there's some good info here:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pu ... pot.com%2F

As you may k now, today Apple released the new Macbook Pro laptops. They feature i5 and i7 processors.

Here's what specifically caught my eye (right from the specifications page) SOURCE :

"Intel HD Graphics with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory"

Does this mean that core i5 430m notebook users are going to finally be able to see QE/CE support in Snow Leopard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back