Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I simply can not get my Aorus Pro to boot reliably without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

When I use the most recent method of unlocking MSR and using OCQuirks I will get the circle with the line running through it on boot about 50% of the time. It's odd that if I reboot a couple more times that I'll finally get through.

I've been wondering if it has something to do with the amount of peripherals in my system... I have a the GC-Titan Ridge, an older Wifi card, a UAD-2 DSP card, etc, but I've tried removing those and haven't seen a change.

I've tried a bunch of popular, different EFI folders and BIOS versions. There is a very popular build on the other insanehackintosh site *cough cough* but I get the circle with a line through it on boot half the time when using that build as well.

I've attached my current, working EFI (minus serial numbers)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what I should try to make the leap to OCQuirks?

I remove OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, put in the 3 OCQuirks files, unlock the MSR and then... ? Is there another step that I'm missing at that point?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 94
I simply can not get my Aorus Pro to boot reliably without OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi

When I use the most recent method of unlocking MSR and using OCQuirks I will get the circle with the line running through it on boot about 50% of the time. It's odd that if I reboot a couple more times that I'll finally get through.

I've been wondering if it has something to do with the amount of peripherals in my system... I have a the GC-Titan Ridge, an older Wifi card, a UAD-2 DSP card, etc, but I've tried removing those and haven't seen a change.

I've tried a bunch of popular, different EFI folders and BIOS versions. There is a very popular build on the other insanehackintosh site *cough cough* but I get the circle with a line through it on boot half the time when using that build as well.

I've attached my current, working EFI (minus serial numbers)

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what I should try to make the leap to OCQuirks?

I remove OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, put in the 3 OCQuirks files, unlock the MSR and then... ? Is there another step that I'm missing at that point?

Thanks so much!

Other than unlocking MSR, you also need SSDT-PCM and maybe a slide value to fix NVRAM.

I was getting the intermittent boot errors, especially after unlocking the MSR. You can read about my trials and tribulations here. I think the major conflict I was having was the iGPU being enabled.

My major advance was to use pastrychef’s Clover EFI here. This EFI is a basic generic configuration that can be used as a foundation for the Z390 Gigabyte motherboards, so you can start from this and customize it for your set up.

You could try substituting your EFI with pastrychef’s. Just make sure you customize your SMBIOS information, and include any customized kexts and SSDTs, like your SSDT-EC and your USB files. I wanted Sidecar, so I made sure to change it to iMac19,1

Pastrychef uses OCQuirks. I moved from Aptiomemoryfix to OCQuirks and there seemed to be a conflict because Aptiomemoryfix was installed in the BIOS. I had to clear the CMOS.

I would do this:
  1. Backup your current EFI
  2. Replace your current EFI with pastrychef’s
  3. Open pastrychef’s config.plist and populate your SMBIOS information by copy/pasting from your current config.plist to pastrychef’s config.plist.
  4. Optional: If you have your iGPU enabled, I would try patching the framebuffer, using CaseySJ’s method here. Your board seems to be closest to the Aorus Master than the Elite, so I would try the patch listed there. I used the Z390M Gaming to patch my Z390 Gaming X and it seemed to work. It definitely fixed many of the boot problems I had, and it allowed me to enable the iGPU.
  5. Clear the CMOS
  6. Unlock the MSR
  7. Re-enter the settings in the BIOS. You can save the profile in the BIOS and/or on a USB flash drive. If you ever need to reset the CMOS, you can load up the profile and it should have the MSR unlocked.
This is basically how I got my system up and running after I unlocked the MSR. Now I have no intermittent boot issues. It boots right up all the time, thanks to pastrychef's amazing work!

Why make that leap? What's wrong with Clover 5107? Happy here with my setup (at left) booting to Mojave 10.14.6 build 18G5033. Are you on Catalina? (See my EFI file below.)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23 MB · Views: 79
Hahaha, I've been trying to reply to all of you guys for the past hour, but my posts keep disappearing for some reason.

I'm on the latest version of Catalina, 15.5... I'm not so much desperate to use OCQuirks... I just want to stop using osxaptiofix2drv-free2000... just because everyone says it's bad.

I've just discovered that using iMacPro1,1 instead of iMac19,1 and disabling the iGPU allows me to use OsxAptioFix3Drv... so I feel that I'm making some progress as I'm no longer using the "bad" fix. Hopefully I can try OCQuirks now that I've found that the other SMBIOS works more reliably?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Have you considered running Multibeast 12.2.0 on your computer? Its drivers are more compatible with 10.15.5 (or so I have read). Can you post your latest EFI folder?

Last edited:
I think the goal is to find a Aptios memory solution that will work. Going through pastrychef’s config.plist and basic Gigabyte EFI, I believe it was the switch to OCQuirks that was the main factor in making my system stable when the MSR is unlocked. I can get into all the reasons why I suspect this to be so, but I don’t have the time or motivation to prove it to myself (which would be to go through all the options one by one in a process of elimination).

Anyway congrats on getting it working! I would try OCquirks. It is based on the OpenCore OCquirks and ported to the Clover system, so it is the “latest and greatest.” Before my switch I was having intermittent boot errors, maybe once every 5-10 reboots. My system has been stable since the switch to OCQuirks. But every mobo is different so others will have different results.

Hahaha, I've been trying to reply to all of you guys for the past hour, but my posts keep disappearing for some reason.

I'm on the latest version of Catalina, 15.5... I'm not so much desperate to use OCQuirks... I just want to stop using osxaptiofix2drv-free2000... just because everyone says it's bad.

I've just discovered that using iMacPro1,1 instead of iMac19,1 and disabling the iGPU allows me to use OsxAptioFix3Drv... so I feel that I'm making some progress as I'm no longer using the "bad" fix. Hopefully I can try OCQuirks now that I've found that the other SMBIOS works more reliably?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Have you considered running Multibeast 12.2.0 on your computer? Its drivers are more compatible with 10.15.5 (or so I have read). Can you post your latest EFI folder?

I haven't used Multibeast for this install, but I am using the latest version of Clover (5118)

Here's the EFI that I just made that seems to be working pretty well! Next step I'll try is to unlock MSR and use OCQuirks.

Attachments

• imac pro EFI 2.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back