Contribute
Register

Uno's Core i5 RIG - How's my build looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uno

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
:wave: Hello tonymac and forum members. I decided to take the plunge-again and build a new osx86-RIG.

Here is my potential Core i5 Mac. I'm most concerned with my Mobo selection since it’s an IMPORTANT part to a successful build. So here is what I have today on my Wish list:

• Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    [/*:m:2nigedpv]
  • SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
  • GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
  • GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    -- OR --[/*:m:2nigedpv]
  • G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO
    Not sure which would be better...

• LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
  • Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler[/*:m:2nigedpv]

** Already Own **

• 2 WD-HDs 500GB and a 600+GB[/*:m:2nigedpv]
  • Samsung 20" monitor [/*:m:2nigedpv]
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard[/*:m:2nigedpv]

looks good. i just put together my system which is pretty simular! except i3.
i used the eco ram.
i think for the burner everyone was recommending the sony drive.
for the graphics card i have the same one. using single monitor vga right now. i have been hearing the hdmi wont work but haven't tried yet.

tonymacx86 said:
Looks familiar :mrgreen:

No- you should be good to go. :headbang: :geek: :ugeek:
Thank's guys. I feel better now about my selections. I'm almost there just tweaking the items a bit. Will place my order shortly. Thinking about an Apple Extended USB Keyboard :banghead: Looking forward to Building my toy - shhh :shh: don't tell my better half

the ecos should give you some better clearance for your cooler's fan, but the fan can be slid out to accommodate the ripjaws too. i have the same case and cooler and the eco ram, and it's all a nice fit.

Hi Uno,

Your build looks good ! :thumbup:

A couple of comments though:
- The PSU is overkill, you shouldn't need more than 450~500W.
I'd recommend the Corsair VX450W (also made by Seasonic). Great silent one !
- Go for the Ecos, they run cooler, and will provide better clearance for your Mugen-2
- I'm not sure if the Lite-On will have spinning/auto-sleep issues like LG/Samsung...
Sony-Optiarc and Pioneer are a safe choice.

Good Luck with your build !
Lnx2Mac

Lnx2Mac - thank you. I did opt for the Seasonic 520 instead and chose the Eco RAM. However, I did buy the Lite-On. Now if I may, you mentioned auto sleep... Did you mean that this can prevent my build from going to sleep automatically? :oops: I picked it up as I already owned one and in my current Leopard build and worked well for me. Although my current setup does not hibernate on its own either.

So far the upsman has come through with my Case and small box of goodies... Just waiting for the rest on Wed. :clap:

Uno said:
Lnx2Mac - thank you. I did opt for the Seasonic 520 instead and chose the Eco RAM. However, I did buy the Lite-On. Now if I may, you mentioned auto sleep... Did you mean that this can prevent my build from going to sleep automatically? :oops: I picked it up as I already owned one and in my current Leopard build and worked well for me. Although my current setup does not hibernate on its own either.

So far the upsman has come through with my Case and small box of goodies... Just waiting for the rest on Wed. :clap:
The Lite-On DVD drive will stop auto sleep. The only solution for that drive is keep a disc in it and then it will auto sleep.

The Lite-On DVD drive will stop auto sleep. The only solution for that drive is keep a disc in it and then it will auto sleep.
:eek: Wow I didn't know that it would cause this function not to work. Man guess I will have to pick a Sony up on sale or see if it's worth exchanging. Thanks guys, for clearing that up. This explains allot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back