Contribute
Register

Universal 5.1-channel analogue audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hav the same Problem we dhy8386, i hav a MSI P55GD65 Motherboard with ALC889.
I use the Provisorium with voodoohda.kext (2.62 Version) and hav only 2 Channel Front left and Front right.
Rear-Sound not work and Center and Subwoofer not work to same time when all connectet.
Ever anly 2 Speaker with 1 Channel with one Connector.
I think es it the Applehda.kext what not work. i hav all Oprerations with MultiBeast and iBoot we dhy8385 running, not work 5.1 Sound.
Maby hav any Users a Fix for this problem ??
Thank you.
Excuseme my bad english i Life in Germany.

Ok from what i can gather, you get audio when you test your speakers but you cannot run in 5.1 when listening to movies. Correct? I think you can only use the 5.1 when watching movies which support 5.1 surround sound natively (Like dvd movies). I also have all 5 working but can get only 2.1 when listening to music. Atleast i have the 2.1.

Pinarek said:
I hav the same Problem we dhy8386, i hav a MSI P55GD65 Motherboard with ALC889.
I use the Provisorium with voodoohda.kext (2.62 Version) and hav only 2 Channel Front left and Front right.
Rear-Sound not work and Center and Subwoofer not work to same time when all connectet.
Ever anly 2 Speaker with 1 Channel with one Connector.
I think es it the Applehda.kext what not work. i hav all Oprerations with MultiBeast and iBoot we dhy8385 running, not work 5.1 Sound.
Maby hav any Users a Fix for this problem ??
Thank you.
Excuseme my bad english i Life in Germany.

It actually works! First, i tested analog last night using the appleHDA 10.6.2 rollback, and the LegacyHDA889 driver (im using a dsdt system but if you are using easybeast, just intall the HDAEnabler for the 889 as well). Analog works over the three line out outputs to make 5.1 (you need to aggregate devices). When it comes to 5.1 over spdif here is what i figured out. If you download and use apps like Plex, Boxee which have a setting to force digital detection of Ac3/DTS, it will play the 5.1 files perfectly. But trying to play 5.1 through quicktime or even a browser does not work. No idea why this is the case but i think you have to chalk it up to buggy drivers. FYI, i also tried VLC which has force detection but for some reason, it did not work here.

Try that and see what happens. FWIW, i did try with the voodoo as well and it works but had crackling. the legacy drivers worked best.

this is a great thread! i tried it all and 5.1 DOES work, only thing is you loose control via menu bar for volume control. the other thing is that you have to go to midi setup to change between your 5.1 settings and your standard stereo if you want to have control via keyboard/menu bar. kinda crappy that you cant control the sound with the 5.1 with the keyboard. but hey at least 5.1 works.

ok so i found a sort of a walkaround for this 'non-volume control' when choosing the 5.1 from MIDI setup.

in MIDI setup just leave the output like it is, at stereo. this way u have volume control via keyboard and your menu bar

for me at least i use VLC for all my playback. so when i open VLC i set the audio device to my newly created 5.1. this way only files been playback by VLC will use the 5.1 and iu still have control in the finder and other apps.

thanks for the great site!

[UPDATE1]
mixed results. As I aggregated devices did not always see the aggregated sources when configuring speakers. After resampling each line outputs, i was able to see 4 channels (4.1 speakers) and was able to select quaraphonic option.

Used pandora to test sounds but sound came from rear speakers only. Will check if it is due to assigning the wrong set ofspeakers.

Plopped in a movie with 5.1 sound and heard sound through all 4 speakers and subwoofer but in very small volume. Tried to adjust volume under midi setup but volume did not change even though controls moved an indicated changes.

After waking up from sleep no sound. Had to use sound pref to activate a different output source then back to aggregated device. Then I got sound again but still no volume control.

Feel like I am getting closer so will continue to try different options. Still wondering if it is this difficult to setup surround sound with real Mac.

[UPDATE2]

Looks like optical out would be the way to go for surround. Cannot get volume control with aggregated device even after trying to setup each as stereo as posted earlier in this discussion. 2.1 setup is what i will use for now until i get a real audio system to try optical. Gave it a try.
-------------------------------------------------

I am going to try this tonight.

For those Mac experts out there, is this how you normally would work 5.1 speakers on real Macs? Just curious.

Thanks.

slowjin and drho2004...

I've the same problem, I have resigned some time ago already, with the band aid 5.1 sound which just does not want to go. We go with me only 4 speakers, and although the orange (left + right side) and the gray is believe it the center and subwoofer.

The black (but I believe is the back left + right) is just nothing, not even when I play real film with Dolby 5.1 one. But the drivers for ALC889 is still better than the stupid Voodoohda.

Better to only stereo and no 5.1 but it cleaner than the voodohda and the voodo-prefane tool. Microphone is also better than with the AppleHDA with the voodoohda. I leave it now as it is and is good.

I have translated this text with "TI!"

Greetings from Germany from Pinarek

Hi, i need some help this guide doesn't work for me ...

Anyone know how to enable 5.1 audio? I used the GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0 FB DSDT but i can't use my 5.1 audio. I followed this guide -http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4701 - to install my hakintosh.

Thank you so much.

I hav a verry importend question:

Muss i hav in the system/Library/Extension the HDAenabler.kext ?

I think yes, or ?

i hav read in another Forum: "when hav a DSDT (i hav one) you need NOT
a HDAEnabler.kext"

Is this right or not ?

Thank for answer.

Greeting Pinarek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back