Contribute
Register

Universal 5.1-channel analogue audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got 5.1 to work. If your mobo/soundcard has 7.1 surround try connecting the rear speakers into "side" instead of "rear". After reading THX I discovered 5.1 uses side and the rear speakers are for 7.1 which explains why even when I followed the first post I still wasn't getting any sound from behind.

First of all, thanks for the solution posted in this thread. Although it did not work for me I still appreciate the help. As an alternative, I wanted to report on getting 5.1 surround specifically via SPDIF.

I know this is kinda old and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread.. just wanna help out. I figured there are some people who are still looking for answers like me a few minutes ago.

I have a GA--P55M-UD2 F11 (ALC887/ALC888b) running 10.6.8. My hackintosh is connected to a Denon AVR1312 via HDMI (for video - no HDMI audio with my 9600GT card) and SPDIF (Digital Optical Output). As I said, the Audio MIDI Setup did not work for me so I had to find another way. I followed the instructions on this link I found on another thread: http://www.cod3r.com/2008/02/the-correc ... quicktime/ and it worked!

Essentially, you have to install Perian (a quicktime extension) and then run a terminal command. After following the simple instructions I was able to pass AC3 and DTS to my receiver (at least within Plex - VLC and Quicktime is still stereo I think). I tried to play music on Itunes and get stereo sound.

As for controlling the volume using the keyboard, unfortunately this does not work using the Digital Optical Out. I *think* this may be normal behavior for SPDIF whether working with 2 channel or 5.1 audio. You control the volume via the receiver's controls. So far, it works for me so I am not worried about it.

Hope this helped somebody.

@thelostswede: I do have the cable hooked up and working under Windows 7. As far as I know, the 9600GT(not to be confused with 9800) does not have HDMI Audio working. Are you aware of any new method to get it running on the 9600GT? If so, please do share! I would appreciate it. I'm almost thinking of just getting a new graphics card...

Thanks in advance!

thelostswede said:
For your graphics card you need to install a cable between the S/PDIF out pins on the motherboard and the S/PDIF in pins on the graphics card.

Don't have one myself, so I can't say for sure, but it really should just be a matter of enabling the S/PDIF out on the motherboard audio, as the Nvidia cards have pass-through for S/PDIF so there shouldn't be any functional limitation, at least not that I'm aware of.

is there any chance to setup 5.1 system with 892 chipset?

Thanks

Excellent guide.
Works Great.
I was using front speakers only for long time. Followed your guide and getting 5.1 now
Really excited
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back