Contribute
Register

Uninstalling displays kexts from single user mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
i7 HackPro
CPU
Core i7
Graphics
Nvidia
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed some kexts (supposedly) for my nvidia card from another site. Unfortunately, either due to an OSX version issue (likely) or some other compatibility problem, I booted up to a solid blue screen. It *seems* like OSX is booting just fine in the background (as it was before) but the display is corrupt.

I tried booting into safe mode using the -x flag frok iBoot but I get a kernel panic. Single user mode works but I'm pretty slow with the terminal commands, and aren't really sure how to attack the issue. I know the filenames of the kexts I installed, so can I just delete them? Will OSX fall back into a default video mode of some sort to allow me to boot up and try other kexts, or will I have to reinstall the stock 10.6.8 kexts again manually?

Is there a better way to attack this?

I was making such great headway with things and then this went and blew up when I tackled my display optimization. :)

Thanks all, as always!

Rather than try to untangle the knot, it may be easier to start over and just install what you know works. Once you get to the desktop add another drive and backup to it with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. You can always restore a backup if you crash on your main drive. I seesawed back and forth through four installs restoring backups and trying again until it all worked.

I was afraid That was going to be the solution. :(

I've had big issues getting the onboard NIC to be recognized - about 75% or my installs (and yes, there's been a few already, ;)) the NIC refused to even show up as valid hardware. This time, it did, so I was excited to work with this install and not start over again since it seemed I had many of the initial growing pains/kinks worked out....not to mention the time involved in downloading/installing the 10.6.8 combo update.

I knew I should have CCC'd this install in particular.

Still willing to try alternatives if anyone has any to suggest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back