Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

Thank you for this forum and products like Chimera.

I haven't been able to locate instructions on how to remove / uninstall Chimera. I downloaded version 1.5.4 (the latest this past week).

Please note: I have found another topic called "Remove Chimera?" however the answer only told the user to install a newer version. I would like to completely remove Chimera as though it had never been installed on the machine.

Machine: Macbook

Thanks!
Michael

It's a bootloader and it isn't possible to uninstall a bootloader, just overwriting with another bootloader is possible (GRUB, EasyBCD, Windows bootloader etc.)...or repartitioning using another partition sheme (i.e from GUID sheme to MBR or from Mac OS Extended to Fat or whatever). But you'll lost all Data if you do so and w/o any bootloader installed you're not able to boot any Operating System

blueking said:
Are you saying you installed chimera on your macbook?
OMG :lol: , i'd overread that in the OP above. If it's so, we have one more Rocket Scientist here. I really don't know why some people are so stupid and installing anything for building a Hackintosh on their real Mac's :banghead: There's no need and no reason to do so

Thanks blueking,

This is my first post on this board and obviously, not the welcoming I was hoping for.

Having seen the response from karacho, I can only assume the worst. Namely, you've sent me instructions to further F-up my machine. If the page you sent me is in fact intended to revert my machine back to "normal", then please confirm and accept my apology for my unfair assumption.

Otherwise, if there is anyone else who would like to provide helpful feedback in how I can uninstall Chimera, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Michael

No problem, karacho, I agree with you it was not an educated move on my part. I did indeed install it on my Macbook and no one needs to tell me how idiotic that move was.

Now my goal is to figure out how to undo this idiotic move. I can hold down the option button and skip the Chimera boot for OSX, but that is not a preferred solution. I'm looking for a way to undo the Chimera installation. I'm shooting in the dark, but would there be a process to "reinstall Boot Camp" that would overwrite the "boot portion" and thus wipe Chimera off and reset my machine, too? Would this wipe my Win 7 partition or render it inaccessible? I have everything backed up, but reinstalling Win 7 is not my first choice.

Any thoughts or hints? I can't believe I'm the first one to want to remove Chimera. Though I may be one of the rare ones to install it on an actual Mac. What is the typical process for uninstalling Chimera?

Thanks for your help!

Afaik the chimera/chameleon installer script executes some dd and fdisk commands to write boot0 into the MBR and the boot1h in the start sector of /dev/rdisk0s2. These files are not visible because this sections of a HDD are not accessible (only using fdisk and dd) and so no chance to easily delete them. But the boot file. When you can get to your OSX Desktop, run Terminal and delete the boot file in /

sudo rm /boot

Try this, but i don't know if this will work

Thanks karacho, I will give this a try or some similar variation (after a massive backup of course).

For future reference for folks reading this, if you set OSX as the default boot (Startup Disk), you don't ever have to deal with Chimera. You hold the "Option" key and select the Windows partition to boot and it's there. It adds a few extra steps to boot, but has no negative consequences after that.

Alternatively, regardless of what's set as the default boot disk (Boot Camp) you can hold the option key and go into either operating environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back