Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] Unibest USB Not Visible at Boot

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to update from 10.7.3 to Mountain Lion using Unibeast. I've followed the guide exactly, but when I try to boot my USB thumb drive isn't even visible as a choice. I've tried all of the usb ports on my machine, I've tried all of the different usb-... boot options, and I tried installing chimera on the drive (someone on another thread said they tried that for a different boot-related problem), but nothing has worked.

I'm thinking that my USB thumb drive is the problem. It's a PNY Attache 8GB drive. Could a new thumb drive help, or is it simply something I've messed up along the way? Thanks

Specs:
MB: Gigabyte ga-z68ma-d2h-b3
RAM: 8GB 1333Hz Corsair

Hi everyone,

I'm currently trying to update from 10.7.3 to Mountain Lion using Unibeast. I've followed the guide exactly, but when I try to boot my USB thumb drive isn't even visible as a choice. I've tried all of the usb ports on my machine, I've tried all of the different usb-... boot options, and I tried installing chimera on the drive (someone on another thread said they tried that for a different boot-related problem), but nothing has worked.

I'm thinking that my USB thumb drive is the problem. It's a PNY Attache 8GB drive. Could a new thumb drive help, or is it simply something I've messed up along the way? Thanks

Specs:
MB: Gigabyte ga-z68ma-d2h-b3
RAM: 8GB 1333Hz Corsair

If other USB drives work in the port and the PNY does not, it is probably the PNY. When you boot to your Lion and plug in the PNY, does it mount automatically?

[SOLVED] Unibest USB Not Visible at Boot

SOLVED: I ended up buying a new Kingston 16GB thumb drive and I'm now in the process of updating to ML. I guess it was just the drive. Go figure

I'm doing the SL to ML upgrade now and am stuck at trying to create the UniBeast boot drive (and downloading 10.8.3 from Apple took forever - one would think they could afford faster servers?)

So it was interesting to discover the above. I just spent a few frustrating hours trying to figure out why UniBeast will not install on my PNY 8 GB Attache USB drive (says 8.14 GB free right after formatting). Tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a 16 GB Kingston....

Just to follow up on my previous post:

I was hoping everything would go smoothly after picking up a Kingston 16GB stick, but that was not the issue! The system was running 10.6.8 and I needed to install the Apple Software Installer Update 1.0 from the Apple website before I could get a working Unibeast USB stick. This update is mentioned in the Unibeast section of this forum, but does not get mentioned in the tutorials which I was following, so I think it bears repeating here. BTW, I never did find out if the PNY 8GB stick would work.

Everything went smoothly after this, and I'm enjoying my 10.8.3 system; just need to figure out how to get it to wake from sleep properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back