Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
HD 6850
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ahhh this is maddening!!

I already have (had) a functioning Yosemite with chimera, so I tried the official El Capitan guide with the accompanying Clover switching guide.

Well, now I have an Unibeast USB that won't boot past the loading screen. It always starts out great, but about 2/3 of the way in the loading bar starts to get painfully slow. Eventually, it does get to 100%, but then NOTHING. It just stays there, for hours.

Worse yet, I can't seem to boot into Yosemite now either. Which is weird, because I was able to do so ones before, through the unibeast usb when I reinstalled chimera and the kexts files, after I found out it didn't work.

I would be eternally grateful to the person that helps me fix this problem?

Some notes:
- the unibeast USB is an 8GB Kingston USB which I have used before for upgrading.
- I have a Carbon Copy backup, which I am able to boot into.
- the CPU is overclocked to 4.28 Ghz.
- I have a Mac/Win dual boot

It's hard to say what the problem is based on the loading bar. Please boot verbose (hit space bar from the Clover menu) and post a photo of the screen where it stops.

A few things though:
  • You may want to disable the overclock for the install
  • You will likely need to boot with cpus=1 until you can get into the OS and generate an SSDT for yourself (or install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext)
  • There are also some fixes for the 68 board available

For your reference, this is all covered in the big list of solutions.

[ERROR] Reboot and select proper boot device

Hi Ammulder (and others),

I created a new Unibeast USB and this time I was able to reach the installer and the installation was a success. Sort off, because now I have a new problem. I've looked at and followed the "big list of solutions" but have yet to achieve a successful boot.

1. I can't even reach Clover.
Problem/Solution from the list:
Can't boot: "Reboot and select proper boot device" error.
Typically with a motherboard that supports UEFI, and usually means you're picking a Legacy boot device
Try setting BIOS to boot UEFI only, or otherwise make sure you're booting to a UEFI drive entry not a Legacy drive entry. DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

BUT
2. With use of the Unibeast USB I can use its bootloader to select the Mac HD (el Capitan) drive, however even then it fails. First I see a message that the Mac was restarted do to a crash. Followed by the loading screen (black background with white logo and progress bar) shows up and about halfway through my pc restarts.

Please help! I have know idea on how to fix this.

PS: I'm typing this from my clone backup drive.

EDIT:,
I want to try to delete all old kexts files from the El Capitan Mac HD drive, which should be located at /systems/library/extensions, but I don't see the Systems folder (Mac HD) in Finder from my cloned (Clone HD) drive. Is this normal?

AHHHH I HATE CLOVER AND THIS UPGRADE!!!

Sorry for the rant, but everything seems to go wrong!

I recreated the Unibeast usb again and now I can't even reach the Installer anymore when booting from USB.

List of problems already encountered:
- USB won't boot
- Kernel Panics
- Re-booting
- Stop sign (prohibited) on loading screen
- Load proper boot device error
- Freezing

What I am doing wrong here?!

It can't be this hard to upgrade to El Capitan.

Would a Clean install (wiping the Mac HD using disk utility in Clone HD) help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back