Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have read nearly every thread relating to Clover and EFI with related keywords, HOWEVER, I cannot find anyone with this very specific problem, which is slightly different than the problems I've been reading about. Also, I have read the troubleshooting guide, and tried everything there, on all 3 sticks.

Specs/What I've tried/Info:
  • I am on a Mavericks Hackintosh, using UniBeast 7.0.1, MSI Z87-G43 (Non gamer model, it's blue and black not red and black), i7-4770, Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics, and I am trying to install MacOS Sierra after downloading it from the App Store about 5 different times
  • I have tried a 32GB HP Stick and 32GB Gorilla Drive and a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer, and all the USB 2.0 slots on my system
  • I have formatted them in Disk Utility (GUID) with the Mac OS Extended file system
  • There is always a hidden EFI partition on all the sticks
  • Out of curiosity, I have tried to force mount the EFI partitions to see if there was anything in them using EFI Mounter V3 and V2, in both cases, it crashes upon mounting with "AppleEvent handler failed."
  • I have tried to run the command in the Clover log file to format the EFI partitions like it wants me to do (disk3s1 is EFI), and it always replies with "Initialized /dev/rdisk3s1 as a 200 MB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume
  • I can only boot my Hackintosh with -x (safe mode) as a boot option, I have tried everything for weeks and unless I boot in safe mode, the (text based boot) always stops at the very last thing, which is something about a non existent bluetooth device, so I don't know if safemode has something to do with this, besides this, the only other problems I've had that I haven't gotten around to fixing are I have no audio devices, and certain visual elements cause low fps screen flickering (Like animated ads in Safari, or swiping in the sub desktop screen)
  • I have waited about an hour or two on "Installing Bootloader" with most of the drives, but last one I've tried I have left for 5-6 hours. I have waited about 3 hours on "Installing Bootloader" after a weird attempt at changing the EFI partition to Apple_HFS. It says the format failed but it still changed EFI to "Mac OS Extended"

When running UniBeast, it always gets stuck at Installing Bootloader, I look inside the drive and check at this stage, and a file appears shortly afterwards called "Clover_Install_Log.txt"
I have edited out all the unimportant secondary hard drives, and am only showing the main drive and the current usb stick I'm trying. The contents of it are as follows:

Code:
/dev/disk0
0: FDisk_partition_scheme 256.1GB disk0
1: Windows_NTFS SSD 213.3GB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS OSX 41.9GB

/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *30.9GB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7mb disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Sierra 30.6GB disk3s2

/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) operation/kext not allowed at current boot level; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil (8).
mount_msdos: msdos filesystem is not available

ERROR: can't mount ESP partition (disk3s1) !
Check that the partition is well formated in HFS or Fat32

To format as HFS use command like:
sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk3s1

For format as Fat32 use command like:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk3s1

I've also tried to format the EFI partition in the Disk Utility GUI, and it changed the partition type from "EFI" to "Mac OS Extended" and the clover log changed from EFI to "Apple_HFS", even though I get an error screen saying there is no space left to perform a format? (odd). I still get the same error, it hangs on Installing Bootloader forever. I've spent about 5 days on this.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I have read nearly every thread relating to Clover and EFI with related keywords, HOWEVER, I cannot find anyone with this very specific problem, which is slightly different than the problems I've been reading about. Also, I have read the troubleshooting guide, and tried everything there, on all 3 sticks.

Specs/What I've tried/Info:
  • I am on a Mavericks Hackintosh, using UniBeast 7.0.1, MSI Z87-G43 (Non gamer model, it's blue and black not red and black), i7-4770, Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics, and I am trying to install MacOS Sierra after downloading it from the App Store about 5 different times
  • I have tried a 32GB HP Stick and 32GB Gorilla Drive and a 16GB Sandisk Cruzer, and all the USB 2.0 slots on my system
  • I have formatted them in Disk Utility (GUID) with the Mac OS Extended file system
  • There is always a hidden EFI partition on all the sticks
  • Out of curiosity, I have tried to force mount the EFI partitions to see if there was anything in them using EFI Mounter V3 and V2, in both cases, it crashes upon mounting with "AppleEvent handler failed."
  • I have tried to run the command in the Clover log file to format the EFI partitions like it wants me to do (disk3s1 is EFI), and it always replies with "Initialized /dev/rdisk3s1 as a 200 MB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume
  • I can only boot my Hackintosh with -x (safe mode) as a boot option, I have tried everything for weeks and unless I boot in safe mode, the (text based boot) always stops at the very last thing, which is something about a non existent bluetooth device, so I don't know if safemode has something to do with this, besides this, the only other problems I've had that I haven't gotten around to fixing are I have no audio devices, and certain visual elements cause low fps screen flickering (Like animated ads in Safari, or swiping in the sub desktop screen)
  • Main drive is a Samsung Pro 850 256GB

When running UniBeast, it always gets stuck at Installing Bootloader, I look inside the drive and check at this stage, and a file appears shortly afterwards called "Clover_Install_Log.txt"
I have edited out all the unimportant secondary hard drives, and am only showing the main drive and the current usb stick I'm trying. The contents of it are as follows:

Code:
/dev/disk0
0: FDisk_partition_scheme 256.1GB disk0
1: Windows_NTFS SSD 213.3GB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS OSX 41.9GB

/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *30.9GB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7mb disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Sierra 30.6GB disk3s2

/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) operation/kext not allowed at current boot level; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil (8).
mount_msdos: msdos filesystem is not available

ERROR: can't mount ESP partition (disk3s1) !
Check that the partition is well formated in HFS or Fat32

To format as HFS use command like:
sudo newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk3s1

For format as Fat32 use command like:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk3s1

So it seems to me it can't access the EFI partition because it doesn't think it's in HFS or Fat32, even though It says it's formatted as HFS. Maybe I should try Fat32 instead?

Thanks for any help.

How long have you left Unibeast to create the Pen Drive?

How long have you left Unibeast to create the Pen Drive?
On the latest pendrive I've tried, about 6 hours AFTER Installing Bootloader started. I watch the pendrive fill up to about 6.22GB and then it moves to Installing Bootloader and just sits on that step forever.

Was able to install Sierra to the Stick using your guide, however, Clover fails to install, as it cannot access the EFI of the USB stick. I cannot format the EFI, in the terminal or in Disk Utility, or mount it with EFI mounter. Maybe this particular stick just doesn't work. I'll try my other ones.

Edit: So I just read somewhere else here that you cannot mount EFI partitions in Safe Mode, which explains my problems. I can only boot into my Hackintosh using -x (safe mode), unless I do some editing. I'm lead to believe it's because I didn't disable VT-d in my bios, which is in a kind of obscure menu I didn't know about. Problem is I formatted the USB I was using for booting into OSX, so I'll need to remake it on my Windows laptop which will take almost an hour. I'll update later on what I find out.

Last edited:
Was able to install Sierra to the Stick using your guide, however, Clover fails to install, as it cannot access the EFI of the USB stick. I cannot format the EFI, in the terminal or in Disk Utility, or mount it with EFI mounter. Maybe this particular stick just doesn't work. I'll try my other ones.

Edit: So I just read somewhere else here that you cannot mount EFI partitions in Safe Mode, which explains my problems. I can only boot into my Hackintosh using -x (safe mode), unless I do some editing. I'm lead to believe it's because I didn't disable VT-d in my bios, which is in a kind of obscure menu I didn't know about. Problem is I formatted the USB I was using for booting into OSX, so I'll need to remake it on my Windows laptop which will take almost an hour. I'll update later on what I find out.

Try with another pen drive. Personally a 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back