Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Everything works fine except the laptop freezes during the OS install. Not at any specific point, just after a certain amount of time it locks up. I've tried 6 or 7 times.. :(

This is on a Dell XPS m1530.

**UPDATE:
I managed to get the thing to install on try number 20 or so (literally). It STILL froze with "about 2 minutes remaining" but after restarting I was miraculously able to boot from the Lion disk and it worked.

I have managed to get (almost) absolutely everything working, including battery, sleep, and restart. The only thing that is not currently working is the touchpad scrolling, but I'm sure there's a fix out there. Not a huge issue anyway. I'll upload my \Extra and \System\Library\Extensions folders if anyone is interested.

Also, I installed Windows 7 on another partition for a dual boot w/ chameleon. No problem with it being GUID. A hint if you need to fix kexts that are causing kernel panics: use MacDrive from a Windows partition.

Did you try a Google search for XPS m1530 hackintosh ?

There are even Youtube videos about it.
There are plenty of success stories of hackintoshes on this laptop.

Hope it helps.

--

I have the same problem. I thought it was to do with my nVidia chip that needs a reballing.

I opened by laptop removed my batt & reset the cmos. After this I was able to install Lion without freeze (lucky) but the system is still not stable. It freezes in between even when its idle.

My guess is there is something to do with bios compatibility.

Got past the problem; I updated the original post.

So how exactly did you fix your problem? Just kept trying and one time it was bingo?

Mine once stalled on 1 minute remaining and I still couldn't boot it :( It also stalled while partitioning the disk, so it indeed appears to be completely at random.

Edit: Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I just disabled SpeedStep in the BIOS and turned off Wifi and Bluetooth with the switch and now the installation finished first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back